Compiling a list of good summer ski spots

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Runner342
14ers: 6 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Compiling a list of good summer ski spots

Post by Runner342 »

So I'm living up in Estes Park and while I'm loving the hiking out here I'm also interested in breaking out my snowboard a few more times! I've been out to Hidden Valley which was fun but am trying to compile a list of some more good spots that hold snow into late June and July (14ers or not). Note that I haven't done any of these yet myself, only researched them.

Tyndall Glacier/Couloir
Angel of Shavano
Quandary?
Sundance
Grizzly Peak
Democrat
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Compiling a list of good summer ski spots

Post by fahixson »

There was a similar thread on summer or maybe even year round ski spots from a while back. Did you try searching the forum? I'm pretty certain the topic came up, but can't remember details. Maybe some of those folks that try to ski at least once every month will have a better memory.
piolet
14ers: 46  8 
13ers: 28 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by piolet »

The IPW (not far south from Estes) can yield some decent summer skiing. Check out the Isabella Glacier and the Fair Glacier on Apache as well as the Navajo Snowfield on Navajo. Mount Toll and Pawnee Peak can also hold snow surprising long into the summer. If you're up for a long walk the St. Vrain Glaciers hold quite a bit of snow. If you're fiending, there's always St. Mary's.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Others in the IPW would include Mt. Neva and Mt. Jasper. Tuning Fork on Torrey's can still be good in late June - and is probably about the most continuous vert you can get in the Front Range this time of year. 4th of July Bowl on Peak 10 in Breck (as the name suggests) is also pretty reliable for a while.

Not sure I'd put Angel of Shavano on this list...as far as I know that's more of a late spring (May-early June)-type line.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

AlexeyD wrote: Not sure I'd put Angel of Shavano on this list...as far as I know that's more of a late spring (May-early June)-type line.
Yeah, the Angel won't be there much longer... http://tandacad.com/WebCam.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Runner342
14ers: 6 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Runner342 »

Thanks guys! Maybe this is the thread you were thinking about? I probably should've looked back a ways first.
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regardless thanks for all the feedback. As for Shavano I see your point :) I had seen a trip report from July and just assumed it held more snow most years.
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

Ptarmigan glacier and fingers near Flattop too
mountainute
14ers: 42  1  5 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountainute »

There is still continuous snow in the left arm of the angel of shavano.