Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 pm

joelmpaula wrote:I still love u Bill.
Aww, thanks, Joel! I needed that.

It's a good thing I'm not that thin-skinned or I'd be crying in my beer(s) every night. Jon is lucky he doesn't get the hate-mail I get. :shock:
joelmpaula
14ers: 56 37
13ers: 66 43 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by joelmpaula » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Your site is great Bill. I am sure the Doc has gotten a bit of hate mail over the last few months. I am not sure which forum was better the purple snow flake or this one. Ok it was the purple snow flake, but you get the point.
TallGrass
14ers: List not added
13ers: 26

Post by TallGrass » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 pm

For those who missed https://www.instagram.com/p/BGpM8bRuASd/ comments...
drjonkedskiCapitol1.JPG
drjonkedskiCapitol1.JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
drjonkedskiCapitol2.JPG
drjonkedskiCapitol2.JPG (106.25 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 pm

joelmpaula wrote:Your site is great Bill. I am sure the Doc has gotten a bit of hate mail over the last few months. I am not sure which forum was better the purple snow flake or this one. Ok it was the purple snow flake, but you get the point.
Hall of Fame s**t for sure

Things wouldn't have gone bananas if Jon had just come on here and had a positive, transparent discussion with the local mountaineering community. I think Bean is right about Jon not having any interest in engaging with the ski mountaineering community. Oh well. I truly believe it could have been to his benefit if he did.
polar
14ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Yes! Now that "it is finished", can we go back to more important topics such as, what kind of shoes should I wear to climb Ellingwood Arete?
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Come out from behind your mobile devices and let's have a chat that's easy. Actually choose to get to know somebody in real life other than the world you live in on the Internet.

:wft: My head is spinning. Since that was directed to me, I wonder what he would want to chat with me about? Endurance in the mountains? Nope, he's way beyond me. Ski technique? Sure, I could help him there. Humility? Chicks?

I should probably lock this thing. :lol:
skierdjs
14ers: 58 9
13ers: 13

Post by skierdjs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Well the first thing you could bring up in the chat is whether or not he actually skied from the summit of Pyramid or not. Then you could talk about herbal tea preference. I bet he's an Earl Gray kind of guy.
Zambo
14ers: 58 5 16
13ers: 144 11 10
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Zambo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 pm

FWIW Bill, I actually thought you were the most respectful of anyone on this. Consistently not judging, just asking questions and seeking clarity on some important points. Nothin wrong with that. I can understand why Jon reacted like he did, but like you said, if all he did is legit, there's no harm in talking with the community a bit. Too bad.

Regardless, of all of it, I'm glad Jon made it through the season safe.
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
Carl
14ers: 58 58
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Bill is a humble enabler, the antithesis of a hater.

Jon, your site said the project was to ski all of the 14ers in less than 362 days, you said the last peak was Capitol and that you were going to go for it, then a week later you put a picture on Instagram of your skis on top of Capitol stating that the project was finished and you accepted congratulatory comments. Some thought this implied you had just skied Capitol, and as such you were asked if that was the case. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Though there may have been some inappropriately harsh remarks in this thread, it's mainly comprised of skiers and riders who are out there skiing peaks, are passionate about ski mountaineering in Colorado, and for the most part they have simply raised questions while refraining from casting judgment. You’ve already gone to the Denver Post and claimed to have skied all the 14ers, so why not simply share the photos from skiing off the summit of Pyramid, Blanca, and Maroon Peak, and put this to rest for the most part? I know for a fact I’m not alone among those who have skied the 14ers or are endeavoring to who want to applauded your accomplishment but have been patiently waiting until you share the photographic evidence that you surely have given the publicity you’ve sought. No hate, just trying to respect the project for the sake of those that came before and for the many that will come after us. If you didn't ski those from the top, go back and get them next year. I'd be up for another ski of Maroon.
mojah
14ers: 58 29 11
13ers: 34 3 1
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mojah » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 pm

He has no interest in engaging with us here because there was no substantial positive reaction to it, even from the beginning. I'd hate to be the subject of 40+ pages of criticism from this forum myself, but I'd like to think I'd never get in that position. From an outsider's perspective, I get that that this thread seems excessive, but I don't think it's unwarranted. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when I went to see him speak, but he quickly showed how devious he really was in representing himself.

Blocking "haters" and removing the opportunity for further "hate" after posting a rather weak and rebuttal? Quite the cheap shot. This censoring and sequestering of his Instagram account is the "right" move on his part to keep any criticism from leaking out into the general public. He's clearly knowledgeable in a public relations sense that would make any politician jealous. Outside of this website, it's too easy for him to keep the discussion on his own terms and he cares way more in maintaining a positive media presence than I (or anyone else, most likely) do in refuting his claims more publicly.
"And this might get me in trouble, but ski mountaineering. I don't know why. You all seem like great people, and I'm sure it's just envy on my part. But there's just something annoying about planning a climb, getting in shape, and all the buildup that goes into dragging myself up a couloir to finally reach the top, and then getting on here and seeing somebody basically say, "Now watch me ski this with nary a mention of how I even got up here." You all make me sick :wink:"
-jaymz
TallGrass
13ers: 26

Post by TallGrass » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:45 am

justiner wrote:Here's an interesting story about this phenomenon:
http://observer.com/2016/02/behind-the- ... 5-minutes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Dr" Jon is known to be an Expert on, "Best-Selling Author", as well as, "14er Record Skiing".
Per JK's profile, he made a minimum $100,000 (40*$2,500) in eSpeaking fees last year.
Peanuts compared to the guy with a "Doctoral Degree in Achievement" though.
Jon_Kedrowski_Espeakers.JPG
Jon_Kedrowski_Espeakers.JPG (26.3 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
ajkagy

Post by ajkagy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 am

TallGrass wrote: Per JK's profile, he made a minimum $100,000 (40*$2,500) in eSpeaking fees last year.
Peanuts compared to the guy with a "Doctoral Degree in Achievement" though.
sounds like the 14ers thing was something to bolster his resume, gain marketing appeal/attention and increase his "speaking" worth...I doubt he cared at all what a few people on an internet forum had to say, unless of course he was getting paid to post on that forum :-D