7 Day Dumpster Dive

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 7 Day Dumpster Dive

Post by Teresa Gergen »

SensoZakku wrote: Perhaps I'm in way over my head as I don't have any GIS or whatever this is considered experience, but this sounds really awesome. How does one add the ownership layer? Most counties in Wisconsin for instance have something like this http://ashlandcowi.wgxtreme.com/, but I have no idea where to go from there, or if I'm even in the right ballpark for that matter.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, even if it's pointing to some learning resources.
I went to listsofjohn.com and called up a map of all ranked and unranked summits in your Ashland County, WI, example, and turned on the land management layer:
Ashland WI.jpg
Ashland WI.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
I went to LOJ's Custom Lists section and created a list with these peaks in it, exported the list as a GPX file (a waypoint/marker consisting of a lat/long for each peak), then imported the GPX file into caltopo.com, and turned on the land management layer in caltopo, so now you can see each peak on a topo map:
Ashland caltopo.jpg
Ashland caltopo.jpg (159.24 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Zooming in on one of the peaks, I drew a random route line to it from the nearest bigger road (I have no idea how one actually best climbs this peak; this is just an example):
St Peters.jpg
St Peters.jpg (209.13 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Then I toggled to the satellite view, added on a 40' contour layer, zoomed in farther near the summit, and can see there might be a trail farther left/west of my route line. I'd re-draw the line to try to follow it (much harder with your vegetation in the east/midwest than out here). In the Sierra I draw lines to avoid as many boulderfields and cliffy areas as possible, that you wouldn't know about just from the topo maps. You can also note where there are houses and fences and draw a route away from them. Looks like I can't add more than 3 photos in a post so I'll try to add the satellite screen shot in a second post.

Once you've re-drawn your route to your satisfaction, you can download it to a Garmin GPS unit and actually follow it in the field. And you can print the topo map with your route drawn right on it from caltopo. It took me about 3 times longer to get the screenshots, resize them, and write out this post than it actually took me to do the work in LOJ and caltopo.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Satellite screenshot:
St Peters satellite.jpg
St Peters satellite.jpg (257.75 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Paul S wrote:
boudreaux wrote:
CreekRunner wrote:that don't take less than an hour or are not occupied by a "summit house".
A couple of my favorite dives involved a summit house in Jeffco. Don't try this at Home! :shock:
I seem to remember a story of you walking onto the balcony of a house under construction on a Jeffco summit and blending in with the construction workers. :lol: 8820 perhaps?
Haha! Yes Paulley, that's right, I got on the front porch without anyone noticing while the crew was working on the back of the house! I wasn't gonna be denied! Awesome day, the things you do for a peak!
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

hessma wrote:
Teresa Gergen wrote: But fair warning: you'll never have spare time again. Some of us enjoy the planning almost as much as the climbing.
Hahaha, I can see how that could become a new problem :-D
Thanks for the tips on using Caltopo! I might never sleep again...
I think the fun is discovering the problems and then solving that problem on the fly! But Caltopo is a great tool!

I got caught by the owner's dog on one of peaks near Golden Gate SP, I started down the nastiest slope, but the dog caught me, had me cornered, I could here the owner calling his dog, I didn't panic and confronted the dog, suddenly the dog bowed down in front of me and wanted to play, I was beside myself, shocked and relieved at the same time. I picked up his stick and tossed it far, and got the heck out of there!
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Here's another one, a high point was in someone's backyard, snuck up through the forest, and sat down in the metal patio chair on the deck. As I looked up, the owner was coming down his stairs looking at me through a big window, he freaked out, I bolted, ran through 100 yards of forest frantically and blasted down the road on my bike expecting to meet the police coming up the road to get me!
Ragin Cajun
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Boudreaux, you county highpointers are certified insane. The amount of private property issues that you must deal with is astronomical. Thank goodness Culebra is the only 14er that has major issues. Even that peak is nothing compared to many CoHPs. Dealing with angry homeowners is my least favorite part of working on lesser known peakbagging lists, especially those east of the Rockies.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Deviance from the Dumpsters Divers

Post by CreekRunner »

I feel like this thread should be renamed Confessions from somebody else's backyard.
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Deviance from the Dumpsters Divers

Post by boudreaux »

CreekRunner wrote:I feel like this thread should be renamed Confessions from somebody else's backyard.
I like it, could be a best seller!
Ragin Cajun
SensoZakku
14ers: 11 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SensoZakku »

Teresa Gergen wrote:It took me about 3 times longer to get the screenshots, resize them, and write out this post than it actually took me to do the work in LOJ and caltopo.
Thank you very much for your detailed response!
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

SensoZakku wrote:
Teresa Gergen wrote:It took me about 3 times longer to get the screenshots, resize them, and write out this post than it actually took me to do the work in LOJ and caltopo.
+1 on the thanks, Teresa!
Your screen shots were very helpful in getting me off the ground and confirming that caltopo Land Management layer doesn't appear to show individual property lines. If there is a layer for personal property that would be awesome!

Here is an example of what I mean. I was able to find this tool from Jeffco.
jeffco_map.JPG
jeffco_map.JPG (326.9 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Oh look, a vacant lot next to peak 4010 :-D
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

hessma wrote:
SensoZakku wrote:
+1 on the thanks, Teresa!
Your screen shots were very helpful in getting me off the ground and confirming that caltopo Land Management layer doesn't appear to show individual property lines. If there is a layer for personal property that would be awesome!

Here is an example of what I mean. I was able to find this tool from Jeffco.
jeffco_map.JPG
Oh look, a vacant lot next to peak 4010 :-D
How have I never known about this? Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?
6262&CCU.png
6262&CCU.png (242.98 KiB) Viewed 856 times
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

CreekRunner wrote: Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?6262&CCU.png

Uhh, I believe it's called private property. As in, any private person or organization can own it, including Christian schools. Get over it.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9