7 Day Dumpster Dive

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 7 Day Dumpster Dive

Post by hessma »

Teresa Gergen wrote: But fair warning: you'll never have spare time again. Some of us enjoy the planning almost as much as the climbing.
Hahaha, I can see how that could become a new problem :-D
Thanks for the tips on using Caltopo! I might never sleep again...
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

spiderman wrote: http://www.summitpost.org/5th-class-col ... aks/171592
Obviously this list of 5th class peaks is incomplete. It also includes insignificant bumps like Sunlight Spire which only losers would climb.
The summitpost list is out of date; it is missing some confirmed 5th class peaks while containing other peaks for which easier than 5th class routes have been found. A better (though far from perfect) list is found on LOJ. This list contains only ranked summits though LOJ also has a much longer list of ranked and unranked "5th class" summits many of which are boulders.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

This is my slow-moving dumpster dive project, since I spend a lot of time in Pennsylvania:

http://www.listsofjohn.com/customlists?lid=441

All 50 ranked Pennsylvania summits over 2,500.' This brings a whole different type of challenge. The planning is fascinating, and doesn't always pan out. You have to work around private property and various hunting seasons. The forests are denser than anything I've seen in Colorado. Most of these peaks have no beta and require map & compass navigation. Many of the peaks have forests so dense that your GPS actually matters (few clear features, no reliable line of sight).

I'm hoping to find a long day this winter to try hiking 2993, 2990, and 2970 from the parking lot of the Flight 93 memorial.

There is one person on LOJ who is very close to finishing this list. If I'm lucky, I'll meet him some day and see his notes. Otherwise, I'm figuring it all out from scratch.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

TK wrote:This is my slow-moving dumpster dive project, since I spend a lot of time in Pennsylvania:

All 50 ranked Pennsylvania summits over 2,500.' This brings a whole different type of challenge. The planning is fascinating, and doesn't always pan out. You have to work around private property and various hunting seasons. The forests are denser than anything I've seen in Colorado. Most of these peaks have no beta and require map & compass navigation. Many of the peaks have forests so dense that your GPS actually matters (few clear features, no reliable line of sight).

I'm hoping to find a long day this winter to try hiking 2993, 2990, and 2970 from the parking lot of the Flight 93 memorial.

There is one person on LOJ who is very close to finishing this list. If I'm lucky, I'll meet him some day and see his notes. Otherwise, I'm figuring it all out from scratch.

And when your done with that list start chasing the 4,000ers in wild n wonderful West Virginia....HA!!! Ive been living in western pa the last twelve years and do a lot of off trail here in pa and dubvee. Im not a list chaser tho,but have done a few of those. Best time of year is when the foliage is down. The toughest off trail place ive been to anywhere in the lower 48 is west virginia hands down. Colorado doesnt even come close to what we have here out east in the laurel thickets. The spruce n rhododendron/laurel highlands of west virginia is nasty nasty nasty...and some of it is literally impenetrable without a hatchet or machete. Im a sucker for sufferfests,n a glutton for punishment,and for some reason i love plowing thru them....lol. Maybe one day ill run across ya plowing thru our thick underbrush....eh...prob not....lol. I never run into people out here.

Good luck...i hope ya complete the list. ..it wont be easy like the 14ers list..haha.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

blakhawk wrote:
TK wrote:This is my slow-moving dumpster dive project, since I spend a lot of time in Pennsylvania:

And when your done with that list start chasing the 4,000ers in wild n wonderful West Virginia....HA!!! Ive been living in western pa the last twelve years and do a lot of off trail here in pa and dubvee. Im not a list chaser tho,but have done a few of those. Best time of year is when the foliage is down. The toughest off trail place ive been to anywhere in the lower 48 is west virginia hands down. Colorado doesnt even come close to what we have here out east in the laurel thickets. The spruce n rhododendron/laurel highlands of west virginia is nasty nasty nasty...and some of it is literally impenetrable without a hatchet or machete. Im a sucker for sufferfests,n a glutton for punishment,and for some reason i love plowing thru them....lol. Maybe one day ill run across ya plowing thru our thick underbrush....eh...prob not....lol. I never run into people out here.

Good luck...i hope ya complete the list. ..it wont be easy like the 14ers list..haha.
After dealing with the foliage on some of these sans machete... I will never complain about a Colorado willow-bash again.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I have never found the Colorado bushwhacks to be too bad, except for a few sections of impenetrable krummholz that usually can be traversed around. The Pennsylvania vegetation can be truly nasty. The consequences of the logging industry will take centuries to recover from. Combined with the private property and hunting that you mentioned, make some of those peaks way up there on my "do not repeat ever again" list. We really need a movement to promote the Right to Roam like they have in Europe. Unfortunately that is likely to be wildly unpopular in the United States, and I dare say might even fail to gain a majority of votes from even 14ers.com folks.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

CreekRunner wrote:
boudreaux wrote:
CreekRunner wrote:that don't take less than an hour or are not occupied by a "summit house".
A couple of my favorite dives involved a summit house in Jeffco. Don't try this at Home! :shock:
If this stuff doesn't count as ninja training, I'm not sure what else does.
Which one?
We dubbed UN 8022 "Woodpile Peak," after a four-peak dumpster diving 8er extravaganza one day when storms kept us below treeline. We pulled up at the end of someone's driveway and saw that a ton of firewood marked the "summit."
I got no pic because we had to run from the agitated owner, but Mark Ott got this one:
The summit of UN 6262 is in plain view of a big house, as well.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Maybe you should knock on their door asking if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior? If they say "go away", then ask if you can bag the peak in their backyard.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The old, Pray-To-Jesus bait and switch!

Personally, I'd just go for it - but in a Yeti costume. If you get caught, you'll make the news! If they don't shoot you, no one will ever believe the landowners story of what they saw.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

It may not be as cool as Boudreaux's construction costume, but do you think this would work? I could always borrow the uniform from my daughter.
Who don't like cookies, right?
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG (108.52 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
SensoZakku
14ers: 11 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SensoZakku »

Teresa Gergen wrote:Use LOJ to identify the peaks of interest, draw routes to them on caltopo, add the land ownership layer, flip from the topo map layers to the satellite layers so you can zoom in and re-draw your routes to attempt to avoid the, um, problems, climb them, log them on LOJ, repeat.
Perhaps I'm in way over my head as I don't have any GIS or whatever this is considered experience, but this sounds really awesome. How does one add the ownership layer? Most counties in Wisconsin for instance have something like this http://ashlandcowi.wgxtreme.com/, but I have no idea where to go from there, or if I'm even in the right ballpark for that matter.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, even if it's pointing to some learning resources.
arvinsmee
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

blakhawk wrote: And when your done with that list start chasing the 4,000ers in wild n wonderful West Virginia....HA!!! Ive been living in western pa the last twelve years and do a lot of off trail here in pa and dubvee. Im not a list chaser tho,but have done a few of those. Best time of year is when the foliage is down. The toughest off trail place ive been to anywhere in the lower 48 is west virginia hands down. Colorado doesnt even come close to what we have here out east in the laurel thickets. The spruce n rhododendron/laurel highlands of west virginia is nasty nasty nasty...and some of it is literally impenetrable without a hatchet or machete. Im a sucker for sufferfests,n a glutton for punishment,and for some reason i love plowing thru them....lol.
Seconded. I once took my girlfriend on a "shortcut" in Dolly Sods (it was from the viewpoint across the valley from Lions Head down to the Red Creek Trail, in case you're familiar with the area). It's about 1/3 mi and down 600', and it'd save us about 2 miles on the trail, so I figured it was a good idea. I'd done it once with my brother and we managed to stay mostly in a rocky gully, which wasn't so bad. With the lady though, I picked a really bad line, right the through rhodos. I couldn't find the gully for the life of me, so we just kept going down because I knew eventually we'd hit the trail. It was so dense we were on our hands and knees for most of the time (or hands and butt, more accurately), climbing over the rocks at a 35% grade. It was raining lightly to make things just a little more fun. Took us 45 minutes to catch the trail... some shortcut. She made me swear I'd never take her bushwhacking again.

Lucky for me, I got her to go off trail on our next trip to Spruce Knob, until I almost stepped on a rattler while traipsing through waist high grass. But that's another story.