Indian Peaks trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Indian Peaks trail conditions

Post by Wildernessjane »

bouncebarkrun wrote:
Wildernessjane wrote:
drex27 wrote:Anyone know status of Brainard Lake road? Worth it bring bikes yet?
It's definitely worth taking your bike. A friend and I did the SE ridge of Audubon last Wednesday. There was no snow on the road to Brainard Lake then some short sections of hike-a-bike before we had to hoof it, which was probably only half a mile or so.
How was Audubon? Still trying to decide where I'm heading on Sunday...
It was good! The SE ridge was mostly dry on the scrambly parts. I did use an ice axe for the short, steep section right after the notch but that was it. We did not use spikes or crampons. We did use snowshoes for a short time on the hike in and then on the descent via the standard route. It's the only time I've hiked in the IPW and not seen another person, that is until we were screaming down the road on our mountain bikes at the end of the day.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

Anyone been up to Neva lately? Is the trail snow free?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

KansanClimber wrote:Anyone been up to Neva lately? Is the trail snow free?
There were a couple reports from South Arapahoe and it doesn't sound like the trail to the pass is clear.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Notice that Bill M. put Peak Condition Reports and Peak Conditions in bold red atop the menu bar AND tab on the left? Maybe for the same reason the Conditions page is not the Forum? There's one for Trailheads too. Maybe an Admin should just merge all the "Conditions" threads into one.
:arrow:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

TallGrass wrote:Notice that Bill M. put Peak Condition Reports and Peak Conditions in bold red atop the menu bar AND tab on the left? Maybe for the same reason the Conditions page is not the Forum? There's one for Trailheads too. Maybe an Admin should just merge all the "Conditions" threads into one.
:arrow:
Yes, it's abundantly clear. And if you bothered to look through it before posting you would realize that there are no peak condition reports for that area recently, and getting to the trail head has little indication as to the conditions of the trail.

Hence why I asked it on the forum... ](*,)
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
bouncebarkrun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bouncebarkrun »

[/quote]

Yes, it's abundantly clear. And if you bothered to look through it before posting you would realize that there are no peak condition reports for that area recently, and getting to the trail head has little indication as to the conditions of the trail.

Hence why I asked it on the forum... ](*,)[/quote]

What he said.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Not seeing any TRs up to South Arapahoe.

Has anyone been up that way or up past Lake Isabelle towards Pawnee Peak? How deep is the snow?
emgordon
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_pe ... type=13ers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And hopefully the people who went up today will post new info.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Thanks - I was looking under TRs.
bouncebarkrun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bouncebarkrun »

I did Meadow Mountain from Allenspark this morning. Trail clear of snow through the stream crossing. Then intermittent drifts here and there on the trail, as well as a LOT of water (I was very happy my husband scouted it yesterday and I brought gaiters) flowing down the trail. A solid snowfield for the last stretch to the saddle but easy to walk with poles and no additional traction. No snow on the saddle or on Meadow Mountain at all. Didn't break an ankle going down all the rocks from the summit so I'm a happy camper. Stanley the wonder dog and I had the trail and summit to ourselves, only saw other people about halfway back down to the TH and they were all apparently headed to St Vrain Mtn. Beautiful morning in the Indian Peaks!
bouncebarkrun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bouncebarkrun »

FYI on the Brainerd Lake Road opening...I just chatted with the folks at the Boulder Ranger station and they said it may be pushed back due to a large drift blocking the parking lot. Stay tuned, they said they would decide tomorrow.
emgordon
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

I also just called, great timing! Planning to go up for the full moon this Sunday somewhere in the Indian Peaks.