maximal fun minimal slush?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

maximal fun minimal slush?

Post by catullus »

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a dayhike this weekend on a fun, scrambly class 2+ to class 4- 12er or 13er, with minimal postholing on the approach. I went up to the democrat-traver saddle this weekend from montgomery reservoir, and it was absolutely miserable -- postholing to knees, bushwhacking to avoid postholing, and crossing over a waterfall on a thin, melting, snowbridge. Maybe something with a south-facing approach that will be mostly melted out by now? Also in the criteria: within 3 hours from Denver.

Thanks!
Chase
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: maximal fun minimal slush?

Post by catullus »

anyone been up father dyer recently?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The first part of this week is supposed to be very warm, but this weekend is supposed to really cool off dramatically. If the forecast are right, it could make for excellent conditions in the mountains without postholing, as long as you get an early start.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Bison and/or McCurdy should be pretty much snow-free by now.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump