Winter Couloirs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cliffjar
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Couloirs

Post by cliffjar »

Hello all! I am new to the wonderful state of Colorado, but not new to mountaineering. I am looking for some exciting winter challenges. Back in Washington, my favorite way up the mountain has always been up a snow-covered couloir. I am reaching out in hopes to find suggestions for some of the coolest couloirs. The higher the stoke level, the better. thank you all!

Edit: thank you all for the advice. I will take my precautions absolutely. If anyone has a favorite springtime couloir, feel free to drop that below!
Last edited by cliffjar on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Winter Couloirs

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Welcome to Colorado! Unfortunately our continental snowpack means the couloirs are generally not in a safe condition during winter. That doesn't mean never, but the majority of the time they are prone to high avalanche danger until we get into a spring freeze/thaw pattern. It takes a lot of careful snowpack analysis and I recommend you take avalanche classes taught by locals with knowledge of our snowpack such as Friends of Berthoud Pass: https://www.berthoudpass.org/event-schedule.html

Even with our dry start to snow season, a lot of north facing slopes and couloirs are holding snow from several weeks ago. That snow is deteriorating and will be buried weak depth hoar layer as we finally get winter snows to fall. Many a January avalanche slid on rotten October or November snow. Be safe!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

I agree with Chicago Transplant; CO couloirs don't get safe or fun until the spring. We don't have the heavy wet maritime snowpack that the Pacific coast enjoys. Unstable layers can form early and last for months, or the entire winter. Couloirs are usually just avy traps until April.

That being said, once spring rolls around, some of my favorites have been Dreamweaver (Mt Meeker), Hopeful couloir (Mt Hope), and Dead Dog and the Tuning fork on Torreys Peak. I've also got Skywalker couloir, Flying Dutchman, and the James peak couloirs on my to-do list.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

If you want to climb snow you should move back to Washington, now sand dune skiing on the other hand
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

North through east aspects are heavily faceted already. You might have luck finding future stability on some of the aspects more devoid of snow currently. If the snow really starts cranking anyway.

s**t for brains (due west) has midwinter stability occasionally. South aspects often get heavily wind loaded. Midwinter’s tricky.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Winter is for skiing. Well, spring is too but for some reason some people seem to enjoy walking downhill after climbing snow.
Make wilderness less accessible.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Perhaps you have to go to Hawaii for that. :-D
Foot of snow predicted for their 13ers.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I've done Keplingers on Longs a few times in Winter. It's a huge, all-day slog. The angle is pretty mellow so if the avy forecast looks alright for that aspect, it's usually safe. Unless it's not.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I enjoyed dead dog on Torreys, had a great day up there one early july after a heavy snow year.
Skywalker is Wonderful.
The Snake on Sneffles is a lot of fun, we were up there the 3rd weekend of June a long time ago and there was almost too much snow.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

ltlFish99 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:59 pm I enjoyed dead dog on Torreys, had a great day up there one early july after a heavy snow year.
Skywalker is Wonderful.
The Snake on Sneffles is a lot of fun, we were up there the 3rd weekend of June a long time ago and there was almost too much snow.
Word of caution, all three of these would be dangerous in winter. They're spring snow climbs 99 times out of 100, as noted by your June and July ascents.