North Maroon is Ranked

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North Maroon is Ranked

Post by ekalina »

Seems like this is the biggest find yet from the LiDAR survey. Very cool!
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

ekalina wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm Seems like this is the biggest find yet from the LiDAR survey. Very cool!
Yes, I was super surprised and stoked when I found out! Just like Sentinel Point (and more so), I was glad to find out that North Maroon is ranked. One of my favorites.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

North Maroon is the Greatest 14er in the Colorado Rockies.

The views on the climb up from Maroon Lake are simply breathtaking and it was the mountain I lost my exposure virginity on. It's also the only mountain where I've encountered a bear, a moose, a marmot, and a goat along the way.

Whoever my future wife is, I'll probably propose to her on top of that mountain.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

North Maroon deserves to be ranked
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Glad to see this, I always thought North Maroon looked a bit higher than 235 feet above the lower part of the traverse.
Be the best you that you can be.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

That seems like a big change, but when I looked at the various topo maps available in LoJ, it makes more sense. Since I haven't done the traverse, I don't know what that saddle looks like but the topo maps show a relatively flat plateau. Stepping back, that doesn't really jive with my mental picture of the bell cord (and SchralpTheGnar's photo). The change requires two closed contour lines to be added to Maroon Peak and that seems like a logical change to make the saddle narrow rather than the flat plateau.
Bells Topo.JPG
Bells Topo.JPG (214.5 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Aim high to end high
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Excellent. Also, that would be crazy if El Diente turns out to be ranked (not very likely based on a look at the topo) and Challenger Point does not. Rooting for the original list to be actually all the ranked ones.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Hahaha! Looks like the USGS and CMC list might have always been correct. Come on El Diente, and screw KC's subpeak. Glad I never fell for the 53 or 58 lists. Suckers. :mrgreen: :-D
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

El Diente was already analyzed and shows 264' prominence on LiDAR. Seems the map makers did a better job.

I stand by my decision to prioritize new 13ers the for the last decade plus rather than going back to get North Maroon. I was stormed off it in 2007 and figured I would eventually go back but just had far higher priorities than having people kick rocks on me. I might still try and re-finish the 13ers before I go get it, that would be a pretty Mike thing to do :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

Great news for NM, a worthy peak for sure. Although, this one does not surprise me as I had measured with my GPS from the saddle to the summit and was getting more than 300 ft. Plus it just felt like more than 300 ft :-D
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:50 am El Diente was already analyzed and shows 264' prominence on LiDAR. Seems the map makers did a better job.

I stand by my decision to prioritize new 13ers the for the last decade plus rather than going back to get North Maroon. I was stormed off it in 2007 and figured I would eventually go back but just had far higher priorities than having people kick rocks on me. I might still try and re-finish the 13ers before I go get it, that would be a pretty Mike thing to do :lol:
I think it would be awesome to finish the ranked 13ers, and then go back for the last ranked 14er. :thumbup: :horns:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.