North Maroon is Ranked

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

Re: North Maroon is Ranked

Post by Jakomait »

Neato! LiDAR is king but it got me thinking a modern GPS with barometric altitude should be a very good double check on the relative elevation between the saddle and the summit. I looked at my raw Garmin file (not Strava corrected data) from doing the Bell Cord and the Traverse last spring and I got 287ft elevation delta between the top of the Cord and N Marron summit. The traverse took me an hour and a half, enough time for a pressure change from weather so this has the potential for a small degree of error. I wouldn't draw a conclusion with that to say the LiDAR is in question but I wonder what anyone else recorded.
Giver skidoo
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

XterraRob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 am Whoever my future wife is, I'll probably propose to her on top of that mountain.
My brother-in-law proposed to my sister on top of N Maroon, his 2nd and my childhood-friend-on-a-random-trip-to-Colorado's 1st 14er.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If West Eolus is ranked that would be really interesting.

West Eolus has only been climbed a few times and is a stunning peak.

(Edited)
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:14 am If West Eolus is ranked that would be really interesting.

That would make it the only Colorado 14er that isn't a walk up. In theory at least (well my theory at least), having at least one technical 14er on the list would bring down the crowds on the rest of the 14ers because a lot of people would know that completing the list is a lot harder. West Eolus has only been climbed a few times and is a stunning peak.
West Eolus would only be a bicentennial if it were ranked. It is around 13740 interpolated at 13733 LiDAR.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:14 am If West Eolus is ranked that would be really interesting.

That would make it the only Colorado 14er that isn't a walk up. In theory at least (well my theory at least), having at least one technical 14er on the list would bring down the crowds on the rest of the 14ers because a lot of people would know that completing the list is a lot harder. West Eolus has only been climbed a few times and is a stunning peak.
West Eolus is a 13er. Would add some spice to the bicent list
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 am West Eolus is a 13er. Would add some spice to the bicent list
You're right (Mike too). Dang it. I'll have to edit the above. Wishful thinking on my part.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 am West Eolus is a 13er. Would add some spice to the bicent list
According to Mark Ott and Liba Kopeckova there is a class 3+ route up it. I plied Mark for details but the memory was fuzzy. Maybe Liba remembers how it goes. Or maybe the class 3 route fell off.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Boggy B wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:37 pm
According to Mark Ott and Liba Kopeckova there is a class 3+ route up it. I plied Mark for details but the memory was fuzzy. Maybe Liba remembers how it goes. Or maybe the class 3 route fell off.
Back in 2012 when we went in for a bunch of stuff there we were under the impression it was supposed to be Class 3+ as well. We couldn't find anything that we felt comfortable with poking around the bottom and bailed off our attempt. I would be curious to find an easier route for sure.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day