14 Peaks Documentary

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14 Peaks Documentary

Post by Skimo95 »

Agreed Susan. Hats off to Nims for all he’s accomplished in such a short time frame. I can’t imagine GoPro batteries last too long in an 8000M climate. #TeamNims
Klad24
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Klad24 »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 am (Speaking of Jimmy Chin, there was a short bit on the national news the other night about his young daughter climbing the Grand Teton, and I could have sworn they called it a 14,000-foot peak but I wasn't really paying attention - making dinner. Did anyone else happen to see that, and was I imagining things?)
Yeah they did call it a 14er. Guess they rounded up.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:47 am I watched it Tuesday night too. It is an amazing feat to climb all 14 in less than seven months! Unfortunately, and this is just an opinion, fitting this story of climbing the fourteen 8000 meter peaks into a movie doesn't provide enough time to really cover the climb of each peak. It was essentially a summary and I don't think this amount of material can be covered adequately in the timeframe of a movie.
I think it's fine. Better than playing it up consistently like "Everest: Beyond the Limit" where the drama is in someone spilling a water bottle, or there's a 30 minute argument about whether it's going to snow or something.

Messner in the movie itself speaks to the monotony and drudgery of climbing this group of mountains. The high drama of someone kicking steps up snow for 20 hours doesn't need to be stretched out 14 times.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 am Pretty insane and humbling stuff!
d_baker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:22 pm I started watching it, but honestly I'm not a fan.
We partied in Katmandu yesterday, kinda hungover, but here we are, gonna send this because giving up is not in the bloood, it's not in the blood.
(Not an exact accurate quote...)
Doesn't sound like he was all that humbled. :-k

I haven't seen it yet but do they go into any detail about the audible Nims did for that one rescue? Pretty sure he selflessly paused his full sending during this journey to help out another party. Became a fan of him after that regardless of any pompous quotes.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

I was blown away by what Nims and his team accomplished. His project was aptly named because I never would have imagined someone climbing all of the 8000ers in less than a year. He clearly has a unique genetic gift, but his passion for being in the mountains and doing the hard work is undeniable, too. I also really enjoyed learning about his life outside of mountaineering and the deep connection he has with his family.

His personality seems to be more full of stoke than mine is in the alpine, but I still appreciated his excitement for being alive and doing what he loves. I think underneath the bravado and affinity for a late-night party or two must lie a deep appreciation and understanding of making safe, smart decisions in the mountains – otherwise there's no way he could have succeeded in what he did.

Definitely recommend.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Jorts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:47 pm
WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 am Pretty insane and humbling stuff!
d_baker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:22 pm I started watching it, but honestly I'm not a fan.
We partied in Katmandu yesterday, kinda hungover, but here we are, gonna send this because giving up is not in the bloood, it's not in the blood.
(Not an exact accurate quote...)
Doesn't sound like he was all that humbled. :-k

I haven't seen it yet but do they go into any detail about the audible Nims did for that one rescue? Pretty sure he selflessly paused his full sending during this journey to help out another party. Became a fan of him after that regardless of any pompous quotes.
He did go back for the rescue which was completely selfless. Kinda reminded me a couple years back when the K2 winter team flew out of basecamp to go perform a rescue and then went back to attempt K2 again after.

Nims was also involved in another rescue attempt and helped another lost climber on the way back from that.

Very good movie overall. I never had any ambitions of climbing anything over there but that documentary was pretty motivating. Though I still don’t think I could sit in a tent for that long without going nuts. Maybe if we all could just heli into basecamp on the days with good weather windows like he was able to do! *Not a knock on what he did, because it was amazing and his selflessness along the way was impressive, but that was definitely a help (even though they still ended up in a couple storms, but that’s big mountain climbing)
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I think it was an interesting and decent movie, and obviously a tough accomplishment for everyone involved. My comment about 'not a fan' was and is mostly about his brazen personality, imo, and at times I thought he wasn't very genuine. Just my take.
I'm also curious about his partners and how many did they do? And how that came about as to who would join him for which peaks and why.

Jimmy Chin, to me, is very genuine and humble, so it was nice to see him a part of the film. He was also a producer I believe of the movie.
And of course comments from Messner was interesting to hear too.
Last edited by d_baker on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

d_baker wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm I think it was an interesting and decent movie, and obviously a tough accomplishment for everyone involved. My comment about 'not a fan' was and is mostly about his brazen personality, imo, and at times I thought he wasn't very genuine. Just my take.
I'm also curious about his partners and how many did they do? And how that came about as to who would join him for which peaks and why.

Jimmy Chin, to me, is very genuine and humble, so it was nice to see him a part of the film. He was also a producer I believe of the movie.
And of course comments from Messner was interesting to hear to.
I get what you're saying but if he had been humble and quiet about it, no one would have known he was even doing it. He wouldn't have received the international attention and support or the funding. Heck, he probably wouldn't have gotten Shishipangma.

His boisterousness didn't bother me at all. I've seen plenty of white boys (and gals) make a bigger stink over their accomplishments after doing a few 14ers. It was refreshing to see the Nepalese be themselves and have a good time without worrying about what other people think.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Just finished watching it, I really enjoyed it.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

He wasn’t very genuine”?!! I think we watched different films.

Dude worked his ass off, remortgaged his house and was on the grind to secure funding. He helped other climbers in distress and ensured every member of his team was given recognition for the help they provided to him in reaching each summit.

I’d expect someone with the drive to take on this kind of project to believe in themselves as he did and celebrate milestones along the way. The party on K2 turned things around for all the others there that had given up. By their own admission, he was the one who made it possible for them to summit.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I just finished this and really enjoyed his team's attitude and the blunt reality they pointed about the coverage and how hard it was for him to get sponsorship. Beats the years of uninsiprational bro send fest that Reel Rock series kept showcasing until very recently.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Finally watched it. He really did flip the script for everyone else on K2. His enthusiasm’s infectious. I didn’t find his bravado to be abrasive or obnoxious so much as candid and refreshing. And I loved that he made it a point to treat sherpas as equals.

Mountaineering seems to attract a fair number of personalities who take themselves too seriously with disingenuous humility. Nims flipped that stereotype on its head. He keeps the mood light despite being all too familiar with the risks. Something like climbing all the 8000m’s in a year let alone a lifetime demands supreme unwavering confidence and focus. I think he was disinclined to bother trying to hide it.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring