Animals Signaling You?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Animals Signaling You?

Post by Above_Treeline »

Have any of you had animals trying to tell you stuff?

I had a bird circling over my head calling one time. The route got hard and I had issues right on the next bump. Maybe it was trying to tell me to turn around? Do those birds do that, close to a nest or something? American pipit I think. Fun route overall. I thought a pika looked at me like "you crazy" maybe I just thought I saw it. Idk

Hopefully this thread doesn't push Bill to other interests he has mentioned. One of the votes on a poll had to be " you are crazy." And I'm pretty sure that would have won lol. So I didn't do a poll lol. But have any if you had animals maybe try to tell you stuff? Hey it's winter gotta find something to discuss. Serious question believe it or not
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Animals Signaling You?

Post by JChitwood »

Hard to say but crows and ravens always seem to be having fun. Not sure about any mammals they always look like they’re just trying to survive.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

A Raven once dropped a pair of gloves on the trail about 1/4 mile ahead of where I was hiking just when my hands were freezing.

Ok, it was not a pair of gloves, but an inner and outer glove for one hand, and pretty beat up at that, but in the circumstance I was really happy to unwrap them and wear one on the wrong hand.

Does that count?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I've had entire conversations with Canadian Geese before. "Get away from my family"...."Give me a break, I have no interest in your brood, I hate eggs, particularly geese."...."I said leave now!"

Have been dive bombed by a few other birds before.

Of course, pets constantly signal me. I had a cat who was particularly insistent that I drop whatever I was doing and go tend to him now. He led me to the balcony where his sister had fallen or jumped off. I opened the front door to go find her, and she was actually waiting right there for me to let her in. I was pretty impressed she found the front door since she was typically an indoor cat.

My dog signals me every day. "Hey buddy, get up". "Hey, leave some of that yogurt for me. You've had plenty. It's time to share.". "2 hours to dinner....1 hour to dinner....30 minutes to dinner". And my favorite on walks "Slack! Slack! Slack!!'
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Well this guy led us from the Sunlight summit block to the "hole" in the ridge we needed to get down.

"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:33 am I've had entire conversations with Canadian Geese before. "Get away from my family"...."Give me a break, I have no interest in your brood, I hate eggs, particularly geese."...."I said leave now!"

Have been dive bombed by a few other birds before.

Of course, pets constantly signal me. I had a cat who was particularly insistent that I drop whatever I was doing and go tend to him now. He led me to the balcony where his sister had fallen or jumped off. I opened the front door to go find her, and she was actually waiting right there for me to let her in. I was pretty impressed she found the front door since she was typically an indoor cat.

My dog signals me every day. "Hey buddy, get up". "Hey, leave some of that yogurt for me. You've had plenty. It's time to share.". "2 hours to dinner....1 hour to dinner....30 minutes to dinner". And my favorite on walks "Slack! Slack! Slack!!'
Yeah I try to tell animals I'm not going to eat them, I'm a vegetarian, etc. trying to get close to get photos. It doesn't work lol. They've probably figured out that they better run like heck if people come along if they are going to survive.

I wasn't even thinking about pets! Duh. Some relatives had a kid, and it was on the floor crying. They might not have known what to do the dog comes along, flips it over maybe even gives them a look and it quit crying. This one guy I used to be friends with insisted dogs smarter than people. Big dogblover. They might be a lot of the time. I've seen dogs take off through woods they hadn't been through before afaik to go to someone's house so I'm not surprised that the cat got to the door
Last edited by Above_Treeline on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:59 pm A Raven once dropped a pair of gloves on the trail about 1/4 mile ahead of where I was hiking just when my hands were freezing.

Ok, it was not a pair of gloves, but an inner and outer glove for one hand, and pretty beat up at that, but in the circumstance I was really happy to unwrap them and wear one on the wrong hand.

Does that count?
Wow! Definitely counts. Might not have been perfect but how did it know and even find that? Can't just go to a ski shop and pick some up

The birds came early last fall. Thought I'd see if it meant anything. We really got hammered in February. Not sure how they knew.
Last edited by Above_Treeline on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:38 am Well this guy led us from the Sunlight summit block to the "hole" in the ridge we needed to get down.

Wow. Had he seen other people going there or do you think he just happened to be going the same direction? I made friends with friendly marmot one time kinda, ran ahead of me and then posed for a photo.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

The answer is yes. Animals send signals. And sometimes more than signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJh2gIBOto
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Bigfoot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigfoot »

I had a mountain goat come over to where we were resting, then turn around and lead us to the next segment of the trail on Maroon Peak. For the next quarter mile it would go a couple hundred feet, stop and look back to make sure we were following, then go a bit more.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Gene913 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:09 am The answer is yes. Animals send signals. And sometimes more than signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJh2gIBOto
It's really been more the other way around. A horror film for the birds. See link And one place I go there's nobody til duck season

https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/bring-birds-back/
Last edited by Above_Treeline on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.