Most bestest and least bestest Colorado 12er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most bestest and least bestest Colorado 12er

Post by stoopdude »

I'm a big fan of all the Rawah 12ers. North and South Rawah, Snowbank Pk, Clark Pk, all worth your time.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

bdloftin77 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:41 pm I enjoyed Richthofen from Lake Agnes a lot. I'd recommend not going up the NW face though and taking the ridge from the Richthofen-Mahler saddle instead.
Nice views, but OMG was that a choss-fest! The fresh snow when I did it this fall no doubt contributed to my negative opinion, but other than a brief rib partway up from the Mahler saddle, I found tons of unstable talus above the lake. A couple of notes: (1) The Michigan Ditch is a fun, fast bike from Cameron Pass if you want to avoid parking in State Forest State Park (or is that State Park State Forest?); (2) Mahler is rotten class 4 from the saddle, thanks to the notches visible on the approach.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

seano wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:50 am
bdloftin77 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:41 pm I enjoyed Richthofen from Lake Agnes a lot. I'd recommend not going up the NW face though and taking the ridge from the Richthofen-Mahler saddle instead.
Nice views, but OMG was that a choss-fest! The fresh snow when I did it this fall no doubt contributed to my negative opinion, but other than a brief rib partway up from the Mahler saddle, I found tons of unstable talus above the lake. A couple of notes: (1) The Michigan Ditch is a fun, fast bike from Cameron Pass if you want to avoid parking in State Forest State Park (or is that State Park State Forest?); (2) Mahler is rotten class 4 from the saddle, thanks to the notches visible on the approach.
Yep.. lots of very unstable rock going up the face. It's been a bit, but you're probably right about rock below the saddle as well.

I might take the Michigan Ditch if I go again. I did both Clark and Richthofen in a day, and used my State Forest State Park pass for both (yep, Richthofen required a permit as well). Still waiting on lidar to find out which is the Jackson county high point!
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Only done a couple easy 12ers near cottonwood pass that I think have enough prominence to be ranked, interesting looking ones,like E. Spanish and the one above Kroenke lake maybe one of these days. One between brown's pass and yale too. I think roach had a yale route in that vicinity
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.