Most hated 13er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Most hated 13er?

Post by Flyingfish »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:02 pm
Bombay2Boulder wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 pm V3 in it's drypan dirt glory has entered the chat.
This one is better left for spring or a really good wet monsoon spell if you absolutely have to do it in summer.
I'll second Yusef's disdain for climbing V3 in the summer. The scree was so loose that there were times I took three steps up and didn't gain an inch of elevation. V3 really would be best as a snow climb. On the plus side, the view of U.S. Grant from the summit was fantastic:
I would go so far as to say that all the San Miguels are thoroughly terrible.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Jorts wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:51 pm Bartlett? It's a mined out s**t pile.
Spot on, that would actually be my #1. It's also #1 on my 'never going to climb' 13er list.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Whilst Teakettle and numerous others are very harsh, one of the most annoying sections on my centennial hunt was the backside of Pigeon (not to mention the approach early June). I actually ended up climbing the class 4-5 cliffs on return, not sure if it was any better. Buckskin was quite boring, also did it while snowing at night. Dallas makes up its rude approach from Telluride with great climbing (and scenery before the trail cut off). Edwards was so-so, should’ve linked it with Argentine or something more worthwhile. On the contrary, Thunder Pyramid was super fun in late Spring. To the Bi-Centennial finishers, which peaks take the cake, and which ones suck?
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

Bartlett has to be up there for sure, such a bummer to look at old pictures of it compared to now. There is at least a moderate desire to climb it though from my perspective being that it may truly disappear in the next 10 years and be lost forever as a 13er. Will see if I can ever get the stones to go for it though...

I didn't mind Teakettle or Potosi at all on the standard routes but getting down off potosi we made the error of dropping to the road to quick and it gets ugly down in those loose cliffs above the road so I remember that spot being one of my least favorite spots on a 13er. If we would have contoured back around avoided those loose cliffs I would have enjoyed the entire day but I can see why it's approach could be looked down on but at least how we went up it never seemed too loose to me.

My most miserable experience yet was actually on Mountain Boy of all peaks. My Bro and I tried to take it straight on from Grizzly creek with no beta and man we got crushed. Wildly steep third class scree with nothing stable at all where we tried to ascend. It truly felt like the mountain slope was all going to go and getting around to more stable ground wasn't an option either at least from where we were. We ultimately bailed and on the drive home a few days later did the grassy walk up from independence pass instead as a quick run. Funny how Mountain Boy kicked us in the face
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Silverheels was my least favorite so far but we came up a north scree rib so I might have enjoyed it via a different route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Pigeon. All that elevation gain and loss, and then so much sidehilling on scree. Thank god for the views and the cool diving board summit pictures.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Stewart. It's a forgettable tundra-hike and a long drive from anything else, but it was my last Centennial, so it had to be done. On the other hand, I did see a bull moose on my nonstandard approach from Creede, which was cool and a bit surprising.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Yeah most the 13ers in the san juans are brutal in the summer, good piece of advice is to basically avoid anything by Silverton. Our choss is boss.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

seano wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 am Stewart. It's a forgettable tundra-hike and a long drive from anything else, but it was my last Centennial, so it had to be done. On the other hand, I did see a bull moose on my nonstandard approach from Creede, which was cool and a bit surprising.
I found Stewart very enjoyable from Cebolla. I loved the remoteness of that trailhead and the bonus peaks to pick up along the way.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

With only 101 13er summits I'm only marginally qualified to comment here, but I see a few other novices so will add my thoughts. I agree that the talus on the approach to Teakettle is the worst I've experienced, but the scramble up the summit block totally redeems it. And the minimalist summit is awesome, felt crowded with only 2, but certainly breathtaking. My adrenaline was so stoked that Tallgrass shouted at me to calm down.

Can't comment on Gladstone's ridge, recommend the east face:
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=19933

For me the worst 20 vertical feet on a 13er is the upper part of the gully on Cathedral, steep loose dirt in summer. A slip here would be a disaster, microspikes were helpful. Still, the scramble above the gully and the beautiful lake views redeem this route.

My worst 13er experience was on Hagerman, but only because I mistakenly ended up on Roach's East Ridge route. The couloir approach to the ridge is the problem. To quote Roach: "When snow-free, the couloir is a bowling lane of loose rocks. There is no escape from rocks tumbling toward you in the narrow couloir."
AVOID THIS ROUTE!
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 pm Agree with Geo, everything but the last bit of Teakettle was kinda miserable. Quail is also in that boat. But probably the least inspiring peak I've climbed has to be Clinton. Uninspiring views, a boring route, and somehow took me five separate trips to Montgomery reservoir to summit it.
quail is one of my very favorites, but i think it's an inflated rank, due to the *stunning* views of missouri and bel/ox from the summit... when the apocalypse comes you'll find me in one of those cabins.
as for clinton/traver/mcnamee... i'll give my "least favorite 13er" bid to something in that group, too.
Scott P wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:34 pm Silverheels was my least favorite so far but we came up a north scree rib so I might have enjoyed it via a different route.
roach's "classic" south ridge route on silverheels is a fantastic hike. hopefully the abandoned suburban at 11K has vacated the best camping spot the next time someone trailhead snoozes the 4WD portion.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Scott P wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:34 pm Silverheels was my least favorite so far but we came up a north scree rib so I might have enjoyed it via a different route.
The South slopes of silverheels is one of my favorite 13er treks: gentle, nice views of the park, old road that's closed to motor vehicles meams you can get to just over 12k on a path. Summer and fall any car can get to the creek crossing, it's about 9 miles with 3k gain from there. Rough 4wd road would get you a couple more miles up to the closure.