Most hated 13er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Most hated 13er?

Post by bergsteigen »

gb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm Given that I'm a skier I might have to save this thread and make sure I ski any peak that gets mentioned. Most of the ones mentioned so far are exceptionally good ski descents, like Potosi.
This is my strategy, except there are a few that are so horrid, even snow doesn’t fix them. Aka Heisshorn

A lot of the peaks that suck are because of loose rock. San Miguel’s are in general very difficult to like. Occasionally the bushwhacking can be pretty rough on some of the more remote ones.

There are plenty of peaks that aren’t very exciting (route/views), but if you don’t enjoy a pleasant day in the mountains - then WHY are you doing this?!?! Life’s too short to do things one doesn’t enjoy.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

I agree with DArcyS, and blazintoes, I would first consider the comments of those who have responded and have climbed say, over 500 of them. If someone has climbed 100, that’s only 17% of them. I also agree with bergsteigen, if you don’t love climbing mountains, then find some other sport. And the dislike of lots of solo driving is something blazintoes and I agree on too.

Note that quite a few comments are from those who had a bad day (got lost, poor weather, off route, etc.) and that shouldn’t give cause to hate a mountain, only that specific experience. However, if your plan is to climb all of the ranked peaks over 13,000 feet in Colorado, you are going to have some bad days. That can be mitigated by doing what Boggy B says: experience, equipment, fitness, timing.

For me, hands down, the one I liked least was "Dead Man Peak" 13,050’ in the Sangre de Cristo Range. It took me 4 tries to get to the summit. I finally made it from the sand dunes to the west, but would NOT recommend that route. Most people climb it from Music Pass, which requires climbing over 3 other 13ers, all of them once to get there and once more to get back (7 thirteeners in a day). As far as the round-trip time required to summit and return (not YDS difficulty) “Dead Man", it could be the hardest 13er in Colorado. A good warm up for this might be something like: climb Redcloud and Sunshine, then “Sundog” 13,432’, then turn-around and go back over Sunshine & Redcloud on your way back to the trailhead.

Another one I thought was tough was Greylock Mountain 13,575’, again, not technically difficult but very remote. A long approach from every direction. But what a spectacularly beautiful place that mountain is in! And by that same criteria, then Jagged has to be in the top 5, remote plus rated as a class 5 climb.

I loved the north ridge of Gladstone and loved climbing Pigeon and Kismet. Regarding scree, if it’s the right type, what can take you 3 hours to go up might only take you 1/2 hour to go down.

I can’t say I’ve hated any of them.
Last edited by sanjuanmtneer on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And my mind was made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Now my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And time is dear.
(With deference to John Dillon)
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

bergsteigen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 am
gb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm
There are plenty of peaks that aren’t very exciting (route/views), but if you don’t enjoy a pleasant day in the mountains - then WHY are you doing this?!?! Life’s too short to do things one doesn’t enjoy.

This.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I don't hate any 13ers, I may have some I liked less than others though. Generally things that involve loose rock or thick bushwhacking are the worst, the loose rock can be mitigated with good snow. A few of the ones I have liked less are the result of bad conditions as well.

V5 and V10, Traversing between the Truros, approach to Coffeepot (used for Teakettle and Potosi), Approach to Little Finger-North Eolus (used for Fifteen). Those stuck out in my mind at first thought. A few that others noted I didn't have a problem with though, so once again, condition plays a big part. Some I may have forgiven because of other enjoyable parts, I really liked Finnegan's ridge so I forgave the nasty approach, for example.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day