Which is your least favorite/most hated 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Mt. Antero
6%
Mt. Bierstadt
No votes
Mt. Bross
22%
Mt. Cameron
6%
Challenger Point
6%
Culebra Peak
4%
Mt. Elbert
1%
Mt. Evans
5%
Little Bear Peak
4%
Pikes Peak
10%
Mt. Princeton
18%
Quandary Peak
1%
Mt. Shavano
2%
Mt. Sherman
4%
Other
13%

Total votes: 105
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

this topic seems to be hot in the threads right now... there's an option for "Favorite 14er" on your peak checklist, but not a least-favorite. discuss!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Which is your least favorite/most hated 14er?

Post by 12ersRule »

Mt Langley because Langley is a stupid name for a mountain.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Princeton is the worst, hands down. Nothing redeeming about that pile of choss other than the view on 285 heading into the valley.

Favorite, gotta say Wetterhorn. That mountain looks amazing, has the best views of the cimarrons around, and is a short, cool little route.

Edit: oops, saw the "least" in front of favorite. Oh well, Wet always deserves love, even in a hate-fueled thread
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Mt Cameron is not a 14er.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Reg0928
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I'm not sure if I can vote for a least favorite. Maybe Evans?

While I enjoyed the actual mountains, I despise crowds so most of the easy Front Range ones drove me crazy.

It was made worse by the fact that I was in the mid 40's on the list by the time I did them
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Pyramid. I wasn’t going to like it anyway - short, steep, and scrambly is not my style, to put it mildly - but needing a heli-vac to get off it solidified that peak as a fourteener I would be happy to see get unranked, de-listed, launched into a black hole, etc., and I highly doubt I’ll feel any differently even after I finally earn my revenge. Honorable mention goes to Challenger. I’m pretty sure I still have pieces of that gully embedded deep within me.

I am pleased to see that no one has voted for Bierstadt yet. It’s not my favorite (that’d be San Luis), but it’s probably my second favorite - great for a quick jaunt above treeline if you go at night/outside of prime hiking season!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I don't think I can answer this. They're all glorious!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:12 pm Mt Langley because Langley is a stupid name for a mountain.
but it has a sweet, sweet spring snow climb.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

It's been a minute since I've done Bross so I don't really remember. The descent off Challenger was sucky but it gets a pass because of the surrounding views.
Pikes summit is up there, but the lower trails are actually quite lovely.

Gotta be Evans. I might change my mind if I did Tour D'Abyss, but I've only done Evans from Guanella Pass both as an out and back alone, and via the Sawtooth, both of which obviously have the unpleasant willow bashing, and annoying crowds on top.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Agree with Princeton. Glad the one and only time I went up was during calendar winter so I never have to repeat.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Bross. It has to be Bross. I'm not sure there's a more uninspiring summit and there are no alternate routes that redeem it unlike other hated standard route 14ers.
Vacas Valley
14ers: 48  8 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

I would suggest placing an addendum on this thread. Something along the lines of, “standard route of said peaks”. The mountains in and of themselves each have their own beautiful qualities. I’d say the route in which we climb them can contribute to their likability. Princeton for example, ascended from grouse Canyon can be quite pleasant although strenuous, no crowds. Bierstadt/Evans via TourD’Abyss also avoids crowds. I guess it depends on if you are checking a box or looking for an adventure and challenge, minus the crowds.