Declassifying a 14er: What It Takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

So, I know the 300' rule has been a debated and controversial topic in the past and obviously has cases where it gets ignored. However, I believe we should take note that Challenger Point (which is one of the most hated 14ers) may actually not meet this requirement. Officially it has a prominence of 301' but this measurement is disputed and I'm curious about something. Does anyone think it may be below 300' or have reasonable evidence to support or oppose such a claim? Also, would you still climb said peak regardless of ranked/unranked status?
Be the best you that you can be.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Declassifying a 14er: What It Takes

Post by -wren- »

sooo fun fact! With new LiDar technology, we are getting much more reliable info on elevation and prominence. A new extremely difficult ranked 12er, lots of ranked peaks below 14k getting classified or declassified. Challenger might not be ranked, bross still is :( you can look at new info here: https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php ... rYJU19ztFU
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

20211120_222323.jpg
20211120_222323.jpg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

The standard route on KC goes over Challenger Point, so for most people it won't really change anything. I guess it being unranked could spur more people to go via the East Ridge from Columbia Point.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I didn't know Challenger was one of the most hated.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

d_baker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:23 pm I didn't know Challenger was one of the most hated.
It's not.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm The standard route on KC goes over Challenger Point, so for most people it won't really change anything. I guess it being unranked could spur more people to go via the East Ridge from Columbia Point.
I doubt it will force many more people to do the East Ridge route to Kit Carson since that increases the difficulty a lot.

I’m a Challenger lover, not hater, but it would take me just a couple of minutes to demote it on the site and go from 53/58 to 52/58
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Salient wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:23 am Officially it has a prominence of 301' but this measurement is disputed and I'm curious about something. Does anyone think it may be below 300' or have reasonable evidence to support or oppose such a claim?
The 301' is not a measurement. It is an interpolation. Using contour lines, the prominence is 281-321 feet. 301 is only an average of the two numbers.

As far as the second question goes has, it has always been known that Challenger may or may not be ranked. There has always been a 45% chance that peaks with marked summit elevations, with calculated prominence of 301 feet, and with interpolated of saddles using 40 foot contours aren't ranked so of course it might not be ranked even of new measurement methods weren't available. For those who know what prominence is, it is easy to calculate the chances that a peak is or isn't ranked, but I guess there could be a slight disagreement on rounding, which would only change the chances by a few percentage points.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:38 pm
d_baker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:23 pm I didn't know Challenger was one of the most hated.
It's not.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:44 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm The standard route on KC goes over Challenger Point, so for most people it won't really change anything. I guess it being unranked could spur more people to go via the East Ridge from Columbia Point.
I doubt it will force many more people to do the East Ridge route to Kit Carson since that increases the difficulty a lot.

I’m a Challenger lover, not hater, but it would take me just a couple of minutes to demote it on the site and go from 53/58 to 52/58
Personally I don't really hate Challenger that much either, and visiting Willow Lake is certainly worthwhile as well.

Curiosity question Bill, what are your plans for updating lists as this Lidar data comes out? You mention that Challenger could be changed very quickly, but there are a fair amount of changes to the 13er list.... Are you planning to wait until all the peaks have Lidar data analyzed, and then do one big 13er list update?
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Kit Carson via Columbia Point used to be the standard route. Based on personal experience, I'd say that climbing Kit Carson via Challenger is much easier than climbing it via Columbia Point.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner