Kit Carson Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrenAuer237
14ers: 45  2  6 
13ers: 22 4
Trip Reports (0)

Kit Carson Conditions

Post by BrenAuer237 »

Has anyone been in the Willow Lake area recently and would be willing to give an update on snow conditions (specifically for KC)? I'm thinking about giving KC/Challenger a go sometime this week and trying to gauge whether the avenue would be filled in or not.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Kit Carson Conditions

Post by k_fergie »

I have no firsthand look, but I would expect that the Avenue has at least some snow. The past 4 or so years I have observed that any snow in the avenue from the first storm or two of the season lingers until summer. The winds blow it in thick there and it doesn't get a ton of sunlight. Last year I crossed the avenue in waist deep snow the week after the big labor day storm, but everything else in the South Colony basin was dry. However, we have had a pretty dry start, so there's a slim chance its not completely loaded up. Hopefully someone will have some firsthand looks
I thought, I taught, I wrought
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Heyooo heres a photo of the south side of KC from Columbia Point this past Tuesday

https://imgur.com/a/SpXhnSs
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
BrenAuer237
14ers: 45  2  6 
13ers: 22 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrenAuer237 »

zootloopz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:06 pm Heyooo heres a photo of the south side of KC from Columbia Point this past Tuesday

Thank you. Looks like there is indeed some snow on the avenue
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

BrenAuer237 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:33 pm
zootloopz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:06 pm Heyooo heres a photo of the south side of KC from Columbia Point this past Tuesday

Thank you. Looks like there is indeed some snow on the avenue
Looks super passable though. Doesn't look like the kind of snow that would really inhibit travel