Bross?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
123tqb
14ers: 25  4  3 
13ers: 19 4 3
Trip Reports (24)

Bross?

Post by 123tqb »

Anyone know if the summit of Bross is open to the public again? Or if not, any insight into whether Moose Creek Bowl will be available by the time it's filled in?
Sometimes you don't think it be like it is, but it do.
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bross?

Post by quinnwolf »

I don't know if this answers your question, but I was there a few weeks ago, and there is a sign on the trail from Cameron/Lincoln that says something like "Entering private property. Please stay on designated trail." I will let you decide what to do with that information.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The summit of Bross has been closed for years. It will be closed indefinitely.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

quinnwolf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am I don't know if this answers your question, but I was there a few weeks ago, and there is a sign on the trail from Cameron/Lincoln that says something like "Entering private property. Please stay on designated trail." I will let you decide what to do with that information.
Sounds like staying on the designated trail is the way to go. I guess the question now is whether that trail goes to the summit.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:32 pm
quinnwolf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am I don't know if this answers your question, but I was there a few weeks ago, and there is a sign on the trail from Cameron/Lincoln that says something like "Entering private property. Please stay on designated trail." I will let you decide what to do with that information.
Sounds like staying on the designated trail is the way to go. I guess the question now is whether that trail goes to the summit.
No. It misses the summit, but not by that much and you aren't supposed to go to the top. Using a map that shows the property boundaries though, you can get within a few vertical feet of the summit from the south without trespassing. You have to follow the map carefully though and you still can't access the true summit.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

BAH. Another bull crap 120 year old unused mining claim. Walk proudly to the summit. At least as proud as you can be while climbing Bross surely the least loved 14er.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

JChitwood wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:36 pm Bross surely the least loved 14er.
I think Bross has much better views than my least favorites —> Pikes (is at the very bottom by far in every category), Sherman, and Bierstadt.
I should be on a mountain
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Not gonna lie, that whole area is the least scenic part of Colorado I've been to. Kinda depressing to be honest. At least the views at the top are pretty. I mean, from the side of Bross :lol:
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

DeCaLiBron is a great winter hike.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Barnold41 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:32 am Not gonna lie, that whole area is the least scenic part of Colorado I've been to. Kinda depressing to be honest. At least the views at the top are pretty. I mean, from the side of Bross :lol:
Would have to agree there. Much of the Mosquito, Ten Mile, and Front seem kind of depressing, drab, or remote. However, I think I'm pretty spoiled now having seen so much in the other ranges.
I should be on a mountain
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 am Pikes (is at the very bottom by far in every category)
the WORST.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

greenonion wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:32 pm Sounds like staying on the designated trail is the way to go. I guess the question now is whether that trail goes to the summit.
The trail bypasses the summit, but there is, iirc, a trail that splits off the official one that deposits you on the summit. I mean, obviously I’m only *guessing* that it takes you to the summit, because I have never done anything wrong in my whole life, hahahahaha! 8-[
stephakett wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 am [quote=CheapCigarMan post_id=756782 time=<a href="tel:1637242966">1637242966</a> user_id=47499]
Pikes (is at the very bottom by far in every category)
the WORST.
[/quote]

Aww. I theoretically like Barr Trail. “Theoretically” because both times I’ve taken it all the way up, I wound up dealing with way worse weather than was in the forecast, but I’d try it again on a day when there’s not supposed to be a cloud in the entire western half of the country.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)