Bross?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Bross?

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Are we talking about Bross again??? ](*,)
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm
justiner wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am Would have to agree there. Much of the Mosquito, Ten Mile, and Front seem kind of depressing, drab, or remote. However, I think I'm pretty spoiled now having seen so much in the other ranges.
Some of the best looking mountains in CO are found on the Front Range. Glacier Gorge is incredible. The IPW mountains around Brainard Lake: also incredible. Even just taking a hike from Rollins Pass south and peering down the east side is quite a hoot. Snow fields that lick the top of the ridge and beautiful canyon-like cliffs.

Tenmilke/Mosquito - that ridgeline seen from Mayflower Gulch is goooood stuff. I will grant you that the Bartlett mtn mine area isn't the most pleasing, but even in a disgusting way: that enormous hole they've dug is kind of incredible
Can't argue. I hesitated to say Front Range. As you mentioned we have Longs and the Indian Peaks. Yes, Mayflower Gulch is one of my favorite snowshoe routes. I think I'm with Ed_Groves every peak is awe inspiring, having it's own character. I'm just now spoiled after seeing so much. IMO the St. Louis Arch shouldn't be considered the Gateway to the West. It should be the Front Range the Gateway to the West :-D
We should dig up Delicate Arch near Moab, UT and place in on a titanium stand in Denver with a plaque that says Welcome to the West!
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

greenonion wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:11 am

Some of the best looking mountains in CO are found on the Front Range. Glacier Gorge is incredible. The IPW mountains around Brainard Lake: also incredible. Even just taking a hike from Rollins Pass south and peering down the east side is quite a hoot. Snow fields that lick the top of the ridge and beautiful canyon-like cliffs.

Tenmilke/Mosquito - that ridgeline seen from Mayflower Gulch is goooood stuff. I will grant you that the Bartlett mtn mine area isn't the most pleasing, but even in a disgusting way: that enormous hole they've dug is kind of incredible
Can't argue. I hesitated to say Front Range. As you mentioned we have Longs and the Indian Peaks. Yes, Mayflower Gulch is one of my favorite snowshoe routes. I think I'm with Ed_Groves every peak is awe inspiring, having it's own character. I'm just now spoiled after seeing so much. IMO the St. Louis Arch shouldn't be considered the Gateway to the West. It should be the Front Range the Gateway to the West :-D
We should dig up Delicate Arch near Moab, UT and place in on a titanium stand in Denver with a plaque that says Welcome to the West!
+1
That would be so awesome!
I should be on a mountain
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

That would be pretty cool, but the logistics of getting it out of the ground without destroying it and moving it all the way to Denver would not be easy at all even with a large team of people.
Be the best you that you can be.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Phill the Thrill wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:11 pm Are we talking about Bross again??? ](*,)
I know right. Why not just do it without posting everywhere that you are going to be doing it.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Salient wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:11 am

That would be pretty cool, but the logistics of getting it out of the ground without destroying it and moving it all the way to Denver would not be easy at all even with a large team of people.
Teleporting a Peak: What It Takes
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
TheseThousandHills
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheseThousandHills »

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/r ... ecid=12505

The trails to the summits of Mt. Democrat, Mt. Lincoln. Mt. Cameron, and Mt. Bross are open to the public.

The two-mile trek to the summit of Mount Democrat (14,148 feet) begins at Kite Lake, fourteen miles northwest of Fairplay via the town of Alma and a rugged 4-wheel drive road. The trail is on private property, so please respect their property.

The trail begins just to the right (north) of Kite Lake. As you pass the lake, you will see a collapsed log cabin and silver mining ruins directly in front of you. From the ruins, you begin a series of clearly marked switchbacks that begin a steep incline (1,000 feet per mile). Eventually, these take you to the ridge of the saddle between Mounts Democrat and Cameron, where you have another 1/2 mile to the summit. Views of Mounts Cameron, Bross and Lincoln (all fourteeners) reward climbers.

As noted in an earlier post, the current sign as you approach Bross says entering private property, stay on trail.

I really don't know how to confirm any of this, but that's the forest service website says and that's what the sign says.