Bross?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bross?

Post by Barnold41 »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am However, I think I'm pretty spoiled now having seen so much in the other ranges.
(Gore)
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Its not like the summit is surrounded in barbed wire or fencing of any kind. Last I saw, it wasn't manned with a machine gun nest, either. Nor was there anyone patrolling the perimeter with a shotgun.

Once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:49 am
stephakett wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 am
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 am Pikes (is at the very bottom by far in every category)
the WORST.
Aww. I theoretically like Barr Trail. “Theoretically” because both times I’ve taken it all the way up, I wound up dealing with way worse weather than was in the forecast, but I’d try it again on a day when there’s not supposed to be a cloud in the entire western half of the country.
Crags is a beautiful route up to the Devil's Playground... everything past that results in an abrupt stop in the "this was worth the extra vert" category
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

stephakett wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:10 am

the WORST.
Aww. I theoretically like Barr Trail. “Theoretically” because both times I’ve taken it all the way up, I wound up dealing with way worse weather than was in the forecast, but I’d try it again on a day when there’s not supposed to be a cloud in the entire western half of the country.
Crags is a beautiful route up to the Devil's Playground... everything past that results in an abrupt stop in the "this was worth the extra vert" category
Adding Little Pikes makes it worthwhile.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

stephakett wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:10 am

the WORST.
I happen to think Barr trail route is great! And N face couloirs.
Still haven't done S slope routes though.
Crags is interesting, but the road is a turnoff.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Coming from Missouri, the view from just about any 13er or 14er is awe-inspiring.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am Would have to agree there. Much of the Mosquito, Ten Mile, and Front seem kind of depressing, drab, or remote. However, I think I'm pretty spoiled now having seen so much in the other ranges.
Some of the best looking mountains in CO are found on the Front Range. Glacier Gorge is incredible. The IPW mountains around Brainard Lake: also incredible. Even just taking a hike from Rollins Pass south and peering down the east side is quite a hoot. Snow fields that lick the top of the ridge and beautiful canyon-like cliffs.

Tenmilke/Mosquito - that ridgeline seen from Mayflower Gulch is goooood stuff. I will grant you that the Bartlett mtn mine area isn't the most pleasing, but even in a disgusting way: that enormous hole they've dug is kind of incredible
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

What's that LIDAR data got on the depth of that hole, BTW?
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:37 pm Coming from Missouri, the view from just about any 13er or 14er is awe-inspiring.
As someone born in STL: I agree. I've lived in Boulder for six years now but still get butterflies when I look up at Bear Peak, lol
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:37 pm Coming from Missouri, the view from just about any 13er or 14er is awe-inspiring.
Totally get it, I was born in KC but been in the mountains for 11 years. The views from the top of most of the peaks mentioned in this thread are awesome but some are definitely better than others. Also, some areas have been mined to oblivion and are less scenic because of it, including everything around Kite Lake.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

justiner wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 am Would have to agree there. Much of the Mosquito, Ten Mile, and Front seem kind of depressing, drab, or remote. However, I think I'm pretty spoiled now having seen so much in the other ranges.
Some of the best looking mountains in CO are found on the Front Range. Glacier Gorge is incredible. The IPW mountains around Brainard Lake: also incredible. Even just taking a hike from Rollins Pass south and peering down the east side is quite a hoot. Snow fields that lick the top of the ridge and beautiful canyon-like cliffs.

Tenmilke/Mosquito - that ridgeline seen from Mayflower Gulch is goooood stuff. I will grant you that the Bartlett mtn mine area isn't the most pleasing, but even in a disgusting way: that enormous hole they've dug is kind of incredible
Can't argue. I hesitated to say Front Range. As you mentioned we have Longs and the Indian Peaks. Yes, Mayflower Gulch is one of my favorite snowshoe routes. I think I'm with Ed_Groves every peak is awe inspiring, having it's own character. I'm just now spoiled after seeing so much. IMO the St. Louis Arch shouldn't be considered the Gateway to the West. It should be the Front Range the Gateway to the West :-D
I should be on a mountain
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

JChitwood wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:36 pm BAH. Another bull crap 120 year old unused mining claim. Walk proudly to the summit. At least as proud as you can be while climbing Bross surely the least loved 14er.
That’s pretty valid tbh, with how big their land is, I don’t think it matters if you want to walk over the line by a few feet ay?
Be the best you that you can be.