La Plata Peak Northwest Ridge Trail Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hiking 121
14ers: 29 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

La Plata Peak Northwest Ridge Trail Conditions

Post by hiking 121 »

Is it still early enough in the snowy season to use the standard route on La Plata? Or is there already avalanche danger, making the winter route necessary?
hiking 121
14ers: 29 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata Peak Northwest Ridge Trail Conditions

Post by hiking 121 »

I'll answer my own post from a couple of weeks ago. I attempted La Plata on Saturday, 11/13. I did end up taking the summer route with no danger of avalanche at that time. (That may have changed by now.) But there was enough snow to make it difficult in certain places. I made it to the ridge at 12,700 feet before I turned back. No hard feelings though. I was the only one on the mountain the whole day. And the views were spectacular! I'm very much looking forward to summitting this one next summer.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata Peak Northwest Ridge Trail Conditions

Post by two lunches »

hiking 121 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am I was the only one on the mountain the whole day. And the views were spectacular! I'm very much looking forward to summitting this one next summer.
that is my favorite approach in the sawatch. absolutely stunning route from start to finish
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis