Private land on Shavano Trail near the summit on the market

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Private land on Shavano Trail near the summit on the market

Post by peter »

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but one of the private parcels near the Shavano Summit on the standard route is for sale. https://www.redfin.com/CO/Monarch/15901 ... /176705234

Given how much of a headache private landownership along standard routes has been for hikers recently (Decalibron etc.), this seems like an opportunity to chip away at that problem.

I see that CFI already bought the three parcels closest to the summit in 2016, and at that time drew up a plan to change the standard route up Shavano to avoid the other private parcels. https://www.14ers.org/mount-shavano-pri ... quisition/ Is that being built, or is there still value in trying to steer this parcel into hiker-friendly hands like CFI and the Forest Service?
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Private land on Shavano Trail near the summit on the market

Post by dwoodward13 »

Construction starts next summer. They put out a good youtube video a bit ago about the plan. The upper reroute totally avoids this parcel. I suspect they have to go thru some sort of USFS environmental review for their trail construction plans, so they may not want to go back and rehash anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7c-cq ... Initiative
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

$1350 per acre seems pretty cheap. I mean you really can't do anything with it, but still.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Trotter wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:37 pm $1350 per acre seems pretty cheap. I mean you really can't do anything with it, but still.
Maybe it's too late because the new trail has already been started, but I wonder if it would have been cheaper to just buy the land than to build the new trail.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

When I was in the Shavano summit area this last summer, there were signs near the top that had information on the new trail, how to donate to the cause, and where to get more information.
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yardman »

Thanks for raising the issue, which was brought to our attention a few weeks ago when the land offering popped up on the 14ers.com Facebook page.

The parcel for sale was one of four that the Forest Service was to have purchased four years ago. While not needed for the new trail, obtaining the seven mining claims on the Shavano saddle that are currently in private hands will help with the restoration of the old trail and will also resolve this problematic inholding in the forest. CFI has a plan to jump in to resolve this issue, assuming appropriate values can be reached with the landowners, that will be discussed tomorrow at the board meeting. Assuming a thumbs up from the board, we jump into action immediately thereafter. I have shared this plan with several levels of the Forest Service, who are all in agreement.

To clarify for those who raised the issue, the existing Shavano social trail is not sustainable and needs to be closed, stabilized and restored. It has an "F" grade in CFI's "14er Report Card." Under no situation would the Forest Service or CFI want to keep it open. The new route will be much more sustainable and durable, so is the trail of the future for the mountain. Generations of hikers will thank us for making the change.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

yardman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 am To clarify for those who raised the issue, the existing Shavano social trail is not sustainable and needs to be closed, stabilized and restored. It has an "F" grade in CFI's "14er Report Card." Under no situation would the Forest Service or CFI want to keep it open. The new route will be much more sustainable and durable, so is the trail of the future for the mountain. Generations of hikers will thank us for making the change.
i watched the youtube video for this reconstruction project and am super excited to re-hike after it's completed. if i can squeak in some volunteer time i'll chalk it up to a double-win. as always, thank you to CFI for taking care of our mountains!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
peter
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peter »

Yardman, thanks for the reply and great to hear. When you talk about a plan to resolve this issue, are you referring to this specific plot, or all four of the remaining private plots on that saddle? Either way, thanks for the work you're doing on this.