Colorado LiDAR Findings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Colorado LiDAR Findings

Post by Chicago Transplant »

What I found interesting and seems to not caught anyone's attention in this thread yet is that Eolus is higher than Windom under the LiDAR analysis. This is different than field surveys which noted the following on LOJ's Windom page:
Windom Peak has been determined higher than Eolus via survey-grade GPS, as well as the fact that summit block is 5' higher than benchmark.

So now with LiDAR, Eolus is coming in 5' higher than Windom, making Eolus the LaPlata county highpoint again. Did LiDAR miss Windom's summit block?

Also Whitney in the HCW, the technical summit block has been leveled higher by numerous parties, and is noted as such on LOJ:
Eastern end of contour has a 8' block that levels much higher than the spot elevation 13271. Elevation is interpolation of 13271 spot elevation and next higher contour (13280). 1949 Quadrangle accurately depicts east end of contour as the highpoint.
Now LiDAR is saying the western non-technical summit is actually the higher one. Did LiDAR miss the boulder on the east?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Colorado county highpointers:

Many of the eastern county high points remain in similar locations. Three have changed by a decent amount, however.

Phillips County High Point: Now 2.22 miles south of the old LoJ location, at 40.5128,-102.6651 and 6 feet higher than the previous location

"Bledsoe Windmill": Now 0.22 miles east of the old LoJ location, at 39.0588,-103.1578. It's on a slight rise on the easternmost of the three closed contours, and is 3 feet higher than the previous location.

"Selenite Bluff": Now 0.16 miles southwest of the old LoJ location at 38.5166,-103.2674. It's on the eastern edge of the southwest closed contour, and is 2 feet higher than the previous location.

I visited the Phillips location previously, but will be returning to pick up Bledsoe Windmill and Selenite Bluff.

Elbert Rock's location is slightly south of the previous one (it'll be coming out soon: 39.13043,-104.63800). I didn't quite hit it on the way, so I'll be revisiting that one as well. The new location is within vertical foot of the old, and many people probably visited this on the way to the previous LoJ location.

Shannon Benchmark is more centered in the contour and not actually on the benchmark (40.4981,-104.0519), but many people probably visited this on the way to the previous LoJ spot.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Does anyone have closer-up pictures of Peak R's summit? (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/819)
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:01 am What I found interesting and seems to not caught anyone's attention in this thread yet is that Eolus is higher than Windom under the LiDAR analysis. This is different than field surveys which noted the following on LOJ's Windom page:
Windom Peak has been determined higher than Eolus via survey-grade GPS, as well as the fact that summit block is 5' higher than benchmark.

So now with LiDAR, Eolus is coming in 5' higher than Windom, making Eolus the LaPlata county highpoint again. Did LiDAR miss Windom's summit block?

Also Whitney in the HCW, the technical summit block has been leveled higher by numerous parties, and is noted as such on LOJ:
Eastern end of contour has a 8' block that levels much higher than the spot elevation 13271. Elevation is interpolation of 13271 spot elevation and next higher contour (13280). 1949 Quadrangle accurately depicts east end of contour as the highpoint.
Now LiDAR is saying the western non-technical summit is actually the higher one. Did LiDAR miss the boulder on the east?
I'll get back to you about these. Thanks for pointing this out!

If you or anyone else sees anything weird about any findings, definitely let us know and we can take another look.
Last edited by bdloftin77 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
Trip Reports (66)

bdloftin77 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 pm Does anyone have closer-up pictures of Peak R's summit? (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/819)
Not really closer, I have pictures of R from Q, S and K. There are no funky towers or anything, its a pretty rounded summit area. I can email you the full sized ones. Below is a quick crop of the full sized image I took from the summit of S, R is on the left with Q to the right:
RQfromS-Crop.jpg
RQfromS-Crop.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Chicago Transplant
Trip Reports (66)

bdloftin77 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:22 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:01 am What I found interesting and seems to not caught anyone's attention in this thread yet is that Eolus is higher than Windom under the LiDAR analysis. This is different than field surveys which noted the following on LOJ's Windom page:

I'll get back to you about these. Thanks for point this out!

If you or anyone else sees anything weird about any findings, definitely let us know and we can take another look.
Thanks for checking!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Re: looking for new 13ers

There are several ranked and soft ranked peaks with an interpolated elevation of 12980'. That's based on the old 1920's datum, so it is possible that some of those could actually hit 13000'. Mesa Mtn has a pretty big 12960' contour, although based on the name, it might be a really flat summit.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:21 pm
bdloftin77 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 pm Does anyone have closer-up pictures of Peak R's summit? (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/819)
Not really closer, I have pictures of R from Q, S and K. There are no funky towers or anything, its a pretty rounded summit area. I can email you the full sized ones. Below is a quick crop of the full sized image I took from the summit of S, R is on the left with Q to the right:

RQfromS-Crop.jpg
Do you remember if the highest point up there was a man-made cairn, or natural rocks? This one is really close.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

DaveLanders wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:55 pm Re: looking for new 13ers

There are several ranked and soft ranked peaks with an interpolated elevation of 12980'. That's based on the old 1920's datum, so it is possible that some of those could actually hit 13000'. Mesa Mtn has a pretty big 12960' contour, although based on the name, it might be a really flat summit.
Yeah, I'll definitely be checking those out. I did find one high 12er that graduated to a 13er today. Sent John the info a bit ago. Got this one at 13,003 feet.
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/822
Chicago Transplant
Trip Reports (66)

bdloftin77 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:57 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Do you remember if the highest point up there was a man-made cairn, or natural rocks? This one is really close.
It's been 10 years, I can't remember what the cairn was like, sorry. I don't have any pics of it, my summit pics don't show it.

Cool about 12990, that was a nice outing. Colorado Trail passed right under the SW ridge, good access from Minnie Gulch, class 2. Easy side trip to unranked Cuba BM as well. Nice to see some new 13ers to make up for the ones we've been losing!
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

Me and a few buddies did QRST this past summer. I do not recall any cairns or certainly nothing of significance. I attached a few shots, hopefully that helps. There is a spot in the direction of the west partner east partner saddle that seemed like it could be higher but it definitely wasn't and the shot with both my friends on the summit is looking back at the high point.
Attachments
This is my buddies on the R summit, no man made cairn that I can remember just some rocks
This is my buddies on the R summit, no man made cairn that I can remember just some rocks
IMG_4940.JPEG (225.08 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
This on is decent from Q, R is very rounded up top as you can see as it is the next peak in the distance
This on is decent from Q, R is very rounded up top as you can see as it is the next peak in the distance
IMG_4927.JPEG (236.95 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Any ability to check Bi-centennial 13,712? I was up there yesterday and my GPS measurements where extremely close to should not be ranked.