Ecuador Open for Business

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Ecuador Open for Business

Post by desertdog »

I wanted to share that I just did a trip to Ecuador to climb Antisana and the country is open for business. My friends climbed Cotopaxi. This was my sixth time to visit Ecuador and it’s got lots of climbing options plus tons of other things to do.

On the Covid front all you need is your vaccination card to get in. It was quick and easy. They have strong protocols in place for tourists and locals. Cases have dropped dramatically. I was really impressed.

Like most places they need the business to help recover from the pandemic. I’m a big fan of Ecuador. If you have any questions please just post here or PM me.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Ecuador Open for Business

Post by LetsGoMets »

Have a trip planned in January for Chimborazo and very much looking forward to getting back there. Thanks for the update, and loved the IG pictures!
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

LetsGoMets wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 am Have a trip planned in January for Chimborazo and very much looking forward to getting back there. Thanks for the update, and loved the IG pictures!
Fredy told me you were coming down! Good luck!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm headed there in a few weeks. We're flying in Bogota and out Quito, climbing peaks along the way. I've heard that the border can be a pain with the COVID restrictions, but we're hoping it goes smoothly.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 am I'm headed there in a few weeks. We're flying in Bogota and out Quito, climbing peaks along the way. I've heard that the border can be a pain with the COVID restrictions, but we're hoping it goes smoothly.
I don’t know about a land crossing, but the Quito airport was super easy. I was through customs in 30 minutes. also, for entry back to US there is a Covid test requirement. You can get that right at the Quito airport. It took me 10 minutes and 45 to get the results. https://medicalvip.com.ec
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

curious how antisana was. we attempted to climb it back in june but got turned around due to avalanche conditions (steep ramp before the ridge).
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

I would really love to travel to Ecuador. What are the adventures that should be on my list bucket list aside from Chimborazo? I don't know too much about the country.
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

curt86iroc wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 am curious how antisana was. we attempted to climb it back in june but got turned around due to avalanche conditions (steep ramp before the ridge).

This was my fourth time on the mountain and I finally made it to the summit. I got weathered off all the other times. We had perfect weather this go round. The ramp was fine, although there were a bunch of big crevesses to work around. The snow was bulletproof. Once on the ridge, it was easier than I was expecting. The views were stunning!
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:58 pm I would really love to travel to Ecuador. What are the adventures that should be on my list bucket list aside from Chimborazo? I don't know too much about the country.
Ecuador is divided into four regions Amazon, Highlands, Coast and Galapagos. All four are great. I really think Galapagos deserves its own trip. If it were my first trip I would allow two weeks and add another mountain in addition to climbing Chimbo, like Cotopaxi. I would also add some days at lodge in the rainforest. From there most of the activities are handled from the lodge. Yasuni National Park is incredible. Quito is worth a day or two. It has a historic area. The beach areas are nice but not world class so if were me I would probably skip them if I had limited time. Ecuador is known for its lodges and many great ones are close to the mountains including Chimbo. Take some time before, between and after your climbs to visit them. I can give you some recommendations when you go if you want. Cuenca is a colonial city where lots of Americans retire. it may be worth looking at.

I don’t know your experience but Cotopaxi is a fairly straightforward climb. It’s all about getting acclimated . Chimbo is really hard physically and very conditions dependent. Caymbe is an easier alternative. Also if you are into technical climbing I would look at Illiniza Sur. There is also Illiniza Norte which is easier. Both make good acclimatization step up peaks since they are a little lower.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

IMO if you are a climber and find yourself in ecuador, you have to climb cotopaxi and chimbo. they are too iconic to pass up. +1 for illiniza sur...way more interesting than norte (actually involves some climbing).

quito is...interesting. the historic part of this city is nice, but can be dangerous after dark (our 2 friends were jumped by 4 guys right outside our hostel, 30 ft from the front entrance (one friend hit over the head with a bottle and had her phone stolen).
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

curt86iroc wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:57 pm IMO if you are a climber and find yourself in ecuador, you have to climb cotopaxi and chimbo. they are too iconic to pass up. +1 for illiniza sur...way more interesting than norte (actually involves some climbing).

quito is...interesting. the historic part of this city is nice, but can be dangerous after dark (our 2 friends were jumped by 4 guys right outside our hostel, 30 ft from the front entrance (one friend hit over the head with a bottle and had her phone stolen).
Same thing happen to me in Dallas :-D
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Personally I liked Antisana more than Cimborazo and Cotopaxi. It has more of a wilderness feel and the area around the peak is really scenic. It used to be off the beaten track as well, but it seems to have gotten a lot more popular in recent years.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.