Ecuador Open for Business

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Ecuador Open for Business

Post by dubsho3000 »

curt86iroc wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:37 pm
dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 pm This piqued my interest and now I'm researching a trip in January to climb Chimborazo and one or two other high glaciated peaks. If I go I'll do Rucu Pinchincha as well, and spend some time in Quito birding. My wife loves birding...

Who would you recommend for a guide for Chimborazo? I'm thinking about doing a guided trip for just that peak, or maybe one that includes an acclimatization hike. Cotopaxi doesn't seem like the best option for acclimatization, since it's nearly as high as Chimborazo, but it seems like that's the most common option in guided trips. Any recommendations? Cayambe and/or Antisana seem pretty appealing as well, although I've only started to research these peaks. I'll be solo for the high peaks. Ecuador Eco Adventures seems like an option - ASEGUIM accredited and they allow tagalongs to larger groups.

Is there a way to get acclimated properly without using a guide? Seems like it would be good to get up to 18k' before making the leap to 20k'. Either way, sounds exciting!
the official rule is you can't climb any glaciated peaks in ecuador without a guide. having said that, there are a lot of people who will call themselves "guides" and will gladly take your $$, but they do not hold the actual qualifications (IFMGA or ASEGUIM)
I assume that includes everything above, say, 16k'?
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 pm This piqued my interest and now I'm researching a trip in January to climb Chimborazo and one or two other high glaciated peaks. If I go I'll do Rucu Pinchincha as well, and spend some time in Quito birding. My wife loves birding...

Who would you recommend for a guide for Chimborazo? I'm thinking about doing a guided trip for just that peak, or maybe one that includes an acclimatization hike. Cotopaxi doesn't seem like the best option for acclimatization, since it's nearly as high as Chimborazo, but it seems like that's the most common option in guided trips. Any recommendations? Cayambe and/or Antisana seem pretty appealing as well, although I've only started to research these peaks. I'll be solo for the high peaks. Ecuador Eco Adventures seems like an option - ASEGUIM accredited and they allow tagalongs to larger groups.

Is there a way to get acclimated properly without using a guide? Seems like it would be good to get up to 18k' before making the leap to 20k'. Either way, sounds exciting!
Yes, I would recommend Andeanface.com. I've climbed Chimbo with them. Javier Herrera is the owner. I have know him for years. Great guy. Feel free to use my name Richard Cost, and he will take care of you. Two great guides that work for him are Freddy Tippen or David Trullio. Borth are IFMGA trained.

You do not need a guide for the lower peaks you would acclimate on, for example Rucu or Wawa Pichca. Javier can offer additional suggestions for these peaks. I would move quickly I think it is going to be a busy season down there.

If you have any questions I can help with PM me.

Javier Herrera | Andeanface
Luis Coloma N44-209 y Av. El Inca, Quito – Ecuador
Phone: (+593-2) 205 2194
Mobile: (+593) 99 992 6078
(for urgent matters only)
E-mail: info@andeanface.com
Our alternative email in case it’s needed:
javier_andes@hotmail.com
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 pm Is there a way to get acclimated properly without using a guide?
There are plenty of peaks that can be done without a guide. You are required to have one for the glaciated summits and summits over 5000 meters though.

I'd suggest browsing summitpost or the guidebooks for good acclimatization peaks.

Some suggestions are Imbabura, Cotocachi, Fuya Fuya, Atacazo, or Corazon.

Iliniza Norte isn't a glaciated peak, but also requires a guide (National Park regulation).

Only peaks below 5000 meters can be legally done without a guide. There are plenty of peaks in this elevation range though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
dubsho3000
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Awesome - thank you both Scott and Richard. I'll be making plans shortly, if I can get the time off from work.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

desertdog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 am
Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 am I'm headed there in a few weeks. We're flying in Bogota and out Quito, climbing peaks along the way. I've heard that the border can be a pain with the COVID restrictions, but we're hoping it goes smoothly.
I don’t know about a land crossing, but the Quito airport was super easy. I was through customs in 30 minutes. also, for entry back to US there is a Covid test requirement. You can get that right at the Quito airport. It took me 10 minutes and 45 to get the results. https://medicalvip.com.ec
Dang. Looks like we're flying anyway.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (100.82 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Well frick, they just changed the entry requirements. Now you have to be quarantined until your test results get back after being tested at the Quito Airport. You have to be tested before getting on the plane too.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The best advice is to not go. We are in Colombia right now and it sounds like Ecuador isn't going to let us in unless we quarantine for 10 days in an expensive hotel AND have a negative COVID test. We are fully vaccinated and have the cards.

If we don't go we have to buy another one way ticket to the USA ($2400 for the three of us) since our return flight is out of Quito. If we do go, it's a 10 day quarantine. What a mess.

The best advice I have is to not travel to Ecuador right now.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

That’s too bad you are having a rough time. Not my experience at all, but that was a month ago and the Covid situation has changed. I have friends that arrived in Quito from the US with no problems on December 12th and are still there climbing. Probably best to stay close to home these days until things settle down.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

desertdog wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:36 am Probably best to stay close to home these days until things settle down.
This
dubsho3000
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I think the requirements are different for flights coming in from the US:

https://www.aeropuertoquito.aero/en/cov ... tocol.html

https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-infor ... 20Ecuador.

Does anyone know the best source of information on this directly from the Ecuadorian government? I'd hate to deal with what Scott is dealing with. I fly in from Miami to Quito. I'll only be there 10 days so a quarantine would be severely disappointing.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

I know it sucks, but the best advice is to simply postpone international travel for now. Unless you have the flexibility and sufficient funds for all the pandemic-related surprises that might arise.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Candace66 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:21 pm I know it sucks, but the best advice is to simply postpone international travel for now. Unless you have the flexibility and sufficient funds for all the pandemic-related surprises that might arise.
and if you do have to travel, make sure you have Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance, and make sure you get it in writing that any cancellation due to COVID-related illness or changing travel restrictions will be honored and reimbursed. if they won't give you that assurance in writing, don't count on getting any money back if you have to change or cancel your trip because the country you're travelling to suddenly changed their entry requirements.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin