Summer is over-are you glad?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Summer is over-are you glad?

Post by 12ersRule »

Vote for Pedro.

espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

I have mixed feelings.

Summer pros:
-Less gear, fewer layers
-Longer days, less time spent with the headlamp
-Wildflowers
-Trail runners
-Wider margins for error

Winter pros:
-The crowds are (mostly) gone
-Risk of thunderstorms greatly reduced
-Everything looks magical in the snow
-Seeing all sorts of cool animal tracks
-Fires and smoke are gone
-Fantasizing about hot food (my usual vice is ramen), coffee, and the seat warmers the whole way down
-Everyone looks cooler with an ice axe
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

I'm not glad. My knees are. :roll:
Trailrunner
14ers: 49  6 
13ers: 224 28
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Trailrunner »

Naw, not really glad summer is over - my favorite times for running are mid-day when it's 90+ degrees out. But I love hiking at all times of the year, especially in wintry conditions. Every season is enjoyable in its own way. :)
Ni!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:38 am I would be happy with 51 weeks of winter, I am in Colorado because of snow in and on the mountains. If Colorado did not have mountains and snow it would be just like the rest of the middle of the country that no one wants to live in.
I'm with you, if summer lasted a week, that would be more than enough. And that's coming from someone who lives in a place that might hit 80 3 or 4 days a year, but I don't even like 70's all that much. And then there's the crowds...
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Eli Watson wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:45 am I miss late spring / early summer: wildflowers and green, couloirs, ...... having more than an hour of daylight before and after work. I could do May through August for 8 months of the year, and September / October for the other 4.
Warmer days with consolidated snow for couloirs
Perhaps year round consolidated snow for hiking up and over scree and loose rock
Wildflowers in the basin
Half iced over high basin lakes - just beautiful!
Would be nice to have warm snow or snow (not wet snow) that existed in warmer temps Haha!
Longer days
Year round BC ski conditions

But hey, no complaints here about the seasons of Colorado. Each season gives such gratification and enjoyment one can look forward to the next season with the same amount of elation. Certainly found my soul in Colorado.
I should be on a mountain
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Not really. The cold weather makes riding my mtb a bit more challenging.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

Ed_Groves wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:34 am If I lived in Colorado, I would probably agree. Unfortunately, as a Missouri resident, late spring to fall is my prime time to make it out there (and other places) to hike. The time period from late fall to next summer is one of intense exercise to stay mountain-ready and unfulfilled desire to be in the mountains.
Tennessean here. Both TN (and MO!) have mountains, but not what I'm looking for. Well after Labor Day -- early Fall -- is my favorite time in Colorado. This year, from around 9/24 through 10/5. Fewer people, the monsoons are over (although they came back the last week of September???), and no wildfire smoke. Got in some non-technical snow, too!
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

There’s a lot to like about every season, but I will admit that the October - mid December timeframe is when I fall out of shape. A bit too cold to hike and camp for my tastes, and any snow is still the early season stuff and I am a bit afraid about getting injured. I guess this is an ideal time for the lower elevation places in Utah.

I adore the summers, long days, lots of green and wildflowers, warmer weather, hiking barefoot, sitting outside with that cold beer. . . The downsides are the crowds and the unpredictable smoke, which unfortunately now a fact of life in the western states.

Fall- the leaves, and sometimes a hiking season that can extend into mid-October. The early snows kind of put an end to that this year, but wow what a colorful show.

Spring- skiing and hiking for turns, slushy days. Here in NM it’s my least favorite time due to the high winds, pollen, and dust. It’s prime climbing season in my ancestral home, the Cascades.

Winter- coming later and later but I’m usually hunting for good snow, and I don’t live anywhere near I-70. So most of my trips are to the less crowded resorts, and a few plane trips. While I get in a fair number of days on a board each season, it’s cold in CO, no matter how perfectly layered I am.
IG: jc_solitude
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

can't wait to be wealthy enough to winter somewhere warmer
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Don't get me wrong, I love summer in the mountains, but I am still a desert rat at heart and am always happy when summer is over and the deserts start to cool down again. \:D/
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Summer's over?