Why is Sunlight Peak a class 4?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Maricopa Mountaineer
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Why is Sunlight Peak a class 4?

Post by Maricopa Mountaineer »

Im still very new at climbing 14ers but recently I climbed Sunlight Peak as my 2nd 14er and it left me wondering why its rated as a class 4? The only part I think that would warrant that rating is the leap of faith section, however the geo marker for the mountain is below the "true summit". Route finding wasn't too difficult, exposure wasn't bad at all until the leap, there were some sections where I had to scale some small rock walls but totally doable, however lots of loose rock! I felt more exposed on Longs peak (class 3) than I did on Sunlight.

Anyways Im still trying to learn the rating system and any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Re: Why is Sunlight Peak a class 4?

Post by JQDivide »

Ratings are based on the hardest move(s)... so a peak that is relatively easy, but has one hard moved will be designated by that one move.

Sunlight is C4 based on the summit block. Minimal hand/foot holds, exposure, death if you fall off, etc.
There is some C3 before that.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Exposure isn't included in the Class rating. The Class rating is simply "how hard is the climbing", although there is often correlation between the two just due to the type of terrain Class 4 climbing is often found on. The Class 4 section on Sunlight is the final summit block. This site defines its ratings here: https://www.14ers.com/difficultyratings.php

Also the USGS markers aren't always put on the the true summit (Snowmass is the same way in that its lower than the true summit if I remember correctly). They were just put in the easiest location for the survey. Many peaks don't even have them either just because they were never installed or they were stolen over the years.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

JQDivide wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:39 pm Ratings are based on the hardest move(s)... so a peak that is relatively easy, but has one hard moved will be designated by that one move.

Sunlight is C4 based on the summit block. Minimal hand/foot holds, exposure, death if you fall off, etc.
There is some C3 before that.
Yep, this is the answer. In Chicago Basin alone, Eolus has more sustained scrambling than Sunlight despite the former being designated as class 3 and the latter as class 4 . With that said, Sunlight's summit block is definitely harder than anything on Eolus's standard route. I usually get a little scared on C4 (but still have fun) and don't get scared on C3. Eolus was pure fun, but Sunlight's summit block was scary.
Last edited by hellmanm on Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Maricopa Mountaineer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:32 pm Im still very new at climbing 14ers but recently I climbed Sunlight Peak as my 2nd 14er and it left me wondering why its rated as a class 4? The only part I think that would warrant that rating is the leap of faith section, however the geo marker for the mountain is below the "true summit". Route finding wasn't too difficult, exposure wasn't bad at all until the leap, there were some sections where I had to scale some small rock walls but totally doable, however lots of loose rock! I felt more exposed on Longs peak (class 3) than I did on Sunlight.

Anyways Im still trying to learn the rating system and any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!
The last moves after the leap are class 4-5.2 depending on the variation taken. Did you do the leap or not? If not, then you didn't do the class 4 part.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Maricopa Mountaineer
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Maricopa Mountaineer »

Scott P wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm
Maricopa Mountaineer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:32 pm Im still very new at climbing 14ers but recently I climbed Sunlight Peak as my 2nd 14er and it left me wondering why its rated as a class 4? The only part I think that would warrant that rating is the leap of faith section, however the geo marker for the mountain is below the "true summit". Route finding wasn't too difficult, exposure wasn't bad at all until the leap, there were some sections where I had to scale some small rock walls but totally doable, however lots of loose rock! I felt more exposed on Longs peak (class 3) than I did on Sunlight.

The last moves after the leap are class 4-5.2 depending on the variation taken. Did you do the leap or not? If not, then you didn't do the class 4 part.
I sure did and it was awesome!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Because it's 4th class
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Just climbing on towers I might've done scarier jumps that were just as exposed as the leap of faith on Sunlight. I will say though, it looks quite fun.
Be the best you that you can be.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Scott P wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm

If the summit block is 5.2, the direct crack start from saddle must be 5.13b :-"

It’s a fun easy class 4, I wouldn’t take it for granted. Congrats on grabbing that as your second, impressive!

Check out this hoss named “Tefen” taken from their Instagram page @mountaineeringmutt

I believe Slawson’s dog might be more impressive though :) — disclaimer I don’t advise anyone taking their dogs on anything above class 3 or easier
Attachments
AA57BE5D-B660-4A20-BC3C-4660E7D33D80.jpeg
AA57BE5D-B660-4A20-BC3C-4660E7D33D80.jpeg (360.78 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Love this pic the dog is roped in.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Koy