Little Bear this wknd 10/2

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
californiajoe1
Trip Reports (0)

Little Bear this wknd 10/2

Post by californiajoe1 »

Looking to do Littlebear this wknd.10/2-10/3
1- drive up Friday night, arrive around 9-10p. ride as far up as my car can go up, carcamp wake up 3/4am then hike in, summit and back down the mountain.

2 - drive up Friday night, arrive around 9-10p, carcamp, hike into as high we can, setup camp and sleep there. Start early Sunday for summit and hike down to car.

I’m down for whatever, just wanna try to get Littlebear.

And yes weather permitting. Both Sat/Sun looks sunny and high60s.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Little Bear this wknd 10/2

Post by randalmartin »

Not sure where you are getting your weather forecast but the forecast for LB is most certainly not high in the 60s. Try the 30s with lows below freezing and that is the forecast at 12kft. In addition, there is several inches of snow forecast between now and the weekend. In my opinion this is a bad weekend to attempt LB. LB is best done in Spring with full snow coverage or fully dry. The hourglass when wet and potentially icy is reckless.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

randalmartin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 pm Not sure where you are getting your weather forecast but the forecast for LB is most certainly not high in the 60s. Try the 30s with lows below freezing and that is the forecast at 12kft.
Yes. 30's at 12,270 feet. Plus a 40% chance of snow on Saturday and 30% on Sunday.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... VUriVNME0E

Doable, but something to go prepared for.

Of note, the hottest temperature ever recorded on Pikes Peak in October was 47. Little Bear likely has a similar climate. The the two weather stations on Colorado 14ers (three if you count Longs, but it was short term) have never recorded temperatures in the upper 60's, let alone in October.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

SW ridge would be your best bet.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
californiajoe1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by californiajoe1 »

Through Zapata Falls? That’s how I did Ellingwood.
californiajoe1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by californiajoe1 »

Thanks for all the input. Watching weather. I’m prepared and have done plenty colder weather hiking. Hoping for some sun. We will see how it looks tomorrow before I make the drive
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

californiajoe1 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 am Through Zapata Falls? That’s how I did Ellingwood.
SW ridge of Little Bear. It's the most common winter route.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
californiajoe1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by californiajoe1 »

Gotcha, that’s actually the one I was planning on doing. I missunderstood your reply. Thanks for the feedback