Top 200 Pageant

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Top 200 Pageant

Post by Tornadoman »

Congrats Steve! Climb on, and best wishes on your next adventures!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Thank you, all. Eddie, super glad that the US Grant report was helpful to you and Randy. I don't write a whole bunch of reports, because so many people have put some excellent stuff out there and often I have nothing more informative to add, but I try to contribute some info, since I have relied so heavily on this site over the years. It was super fun talking to on the ranch and I can't believe we've not met face to face since...that seems a shame.

Now that I"m finally admitting to being middle-aged, I look at some of the days put up and the pace of completion by so many impressive younger people on this site, and I get both astonished and envious. I so wish I had begun hiking and climbing in my 20s instead of my mid 30s.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Congrats, and stylish choice of finishing peaks! I haven't done quite a few on your pageant list; maybe this fall...
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Congratulations on a most wonderful accomplishment.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Congrats, Steve!

You've done it in a style that even a lot of these many young hotshots can't match.

(Also, I echo every word you said below: there's already so much good info out there - including from you; nobody really needs to read my drivel.)
Marmot72 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm Thank you, all. Eddie, super glad that the US Grant report was helpful to you and Randy. I don't write a whole bunch of reports, because so many people have put some excellent stuff out there and often I have nothing more informative to add, but I try to contribute some info, since I have relied so heavily on this site over the years. It was super fun talking to on the ranch and I can't believe we've not met face to face since...that seems a shame.

Now that I"m finally admitting to being middle-aged, I look at some of the days put up and the pace of completion by so many impressive younger people on this site, and I get both astonished and envious. I so wish I had begun hiking and climbing in my 20s instead of my mid 30s.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

My deep thought about a shallow thing yesterday was, how do you know you’re getting older?
When you’d rather go all the way around a downed tree
vs. over it to preserve the knees. Do you do this? I do and I also wished I climbed back in my 20’s vs. late 30’s, 40’s
I gave up on the bicentennials after a horrible time on Potosi after Teakettle. I admire the tenacity and obsession from climbers like you. Congratulations!
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Blazintoes, I definitely go around downed trees, but the other thing I do much more frequently for the knees is taking up the whole trail on the descent - you know, weaving all across it to minimize the drop - much like how you mountain bike a trail to pick the best line. Damn knees. But I guess they'd be even worse if I"d begun sooner!
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Marmot72 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:19 pm Blazintoes, I definitely go around downed trees, but the other thing I do much more frequently for the knees is taking up the whole trail on the descent - you know, weaving all across it to minimize the drop - much like how you mountain bike a trail to pick the best line. Damn knees. But I guess they'd be even worse if I"d begun sooner!
Steve and Amy: My theory is that old = current age + 10
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Vadim34
14ers: 58 
13ers: 615
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vadim34 »

Thanks for sharing the pageant Steve! A really cool read. Congrats on an awesome list! It was fun getting some peaks with you and sharing some brews after!
Vadim