Where's the other half of Mount Elbert? :-)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where's the other half of Mount Elbert? :-)

Post by mgl45 »

LarryM wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:09 pm "Prominence is calculated as the difference in elevation between a summit and the highest saddle that connects that summit to any higher terrain. ... Put another way, prominence is the elevation difference between the summit and the lowest contour that encircles it and no higher summit."

I'm curious where the "saddle" is ... I'd guess somewhere in Wyoming maybe?
I now see the part of the definition you posted that didn't click in my head at first - "....encircles it and no HIGHER summit" which I think I missed because I fundamentally misunderstood what the objective was of the prominence measurement.

All makes sense now. Thanks again.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Closest place I think you'd be able to physically see 9000+ feet of prominence are the volcanoes in the PNW, Mexico, or Hawaii. Hiking Rainier via Emmons-Winthrop, you start hiking around 4,300 feet and peak out at 14,410 ft. Viewing Rainier from Seattle or would give you the full 14k visible. If you haven't seen Mt. Rainier, it's pretty breathtaking to see for a first time. Even more so when you show up in the parking lot to go hike it.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

WVMountaineer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 am Closest place I think you'd be able to physically see 9000+ feet of prominence are the volcanoes in the PNW, Mexico, or Hawaii. Hiking Rainier via Emmons-Winthrop, you start hiking around 4,300 feet and peak out at 14,410 ft. Viewing Rainier from Seattle or would give you the full 14k visible. If you haven't seen Mt. Rainier, it's pretty breathtaking to see for a first time. Even more so when you show up in the parking lot to go hike it.
Thanks!

I have seen Mount Rainer, though that was 30ish years ago. I recall it being spectacular. I hope to make it back at some point.