Favorite 14er?!?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Favorite 14er?!?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Little Bear is the only peak that matters.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am Little Bear is the only peak that matters.

Anything but....minus the bear....

You've got the right range though, the Crestones rule.

Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Holy Cross has a special place in my heart, although I'll admit I like looking at it from Notch much better than actually hiking it. As an amateur photographer, the history of that area has always intrigued me. I cannot imagine hauling that much gear up Notch. My spiritual side always feels warm and fuzzy when I'm sitting on those rocks looking over at the cross.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Capitol. There is no better feeling than coming down the saddle and seeing the mountain you just climbed towering over you at the lake. La Plata is also a great peak with really good summit views.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

The unattainable Bross, of course. Because if you can't have something, it is all that more desirable.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

admittedly, I'm pedantic about these things, so apologies if my response annoys anyone.

favorite 14er is a tough question for me to answer. I'd rather answer the question "favorite 14er route".

My favorite route is Kelso Ridge, but if I was confined to the standard route on Torreys it wouldn't make my top 30.

favorite 14er is probably Maroon Peak, because the photos are epic.

favorite 14er that I've climbed is probably Holy Cross (up Halos Ridge route, down standard) because the two routes I did were both fantastic and reading up on the Holy Cross Couloir route makes it sound epic.
Insta: hokiehead
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am Little Bear is the only peak that matters.
I see what you did there, fellow Clash fan.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

hokiehead wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am favorite 14er is probably Maroon Peak, because the photos are epic.
This is exact reason Pyramid is my favorite, no better view of the bells than from the summit of Pyramid.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Ans015
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ans015 »

Seems like wetterhorn, capitol, holy cross, and a sneffles are mentioned a lot. To be honest I was leaning to doing wetterhorn next. I’m not sure I’m up for Capitol though. I love seeing everyone’s reasons for their favorite.
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

I have not done 39 of them, so that list is subject to change.

I'd do again in a heartbeat: Huron, San Luis, La Plata (incidentally, I hiked all 3 for the first time a mere couple of weeks ago), and Handies.
Reasons: Huron: views, views, views, and the alpine nature of the summit. La Plata: same as Huron, and also because the secondary route from Winfield ended up being a favorite. San Luis: remoteness, views, and "walk-up" nature of the hike (non-technical, ie, more time and energy spared to enjoy the instant), and possibility of hiking a loop up Stewart Creek down by Southern ridge and back to Eddiesville by CDT/CT (17 miles loop). Handies: kind of like San Luis but shorter, and the nicest alpine meadows I ever enjoyed on a 14er (subject to year-to-year variations and variations throughout the season).

I would also redo Sherman without hesitation but only because it's been my only 14er with no views (clouds wrapped up the summit area as soon as I got on it, only to evolve into snow eventually...)

Probably would want to try Elbert again by a different route, but crowds on the summit are likely to disappoint me.

Shavano, Antero, Belford/Oxford, Yale, Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys: I'm glad I went, but I'd focus on other peaks in the foreseeable future.

I'm happy to read a lot of Holy Cross mentions, as it's ranked high on my wish list.
Sapper36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sapper36 »

Wetterhorn
eaagaard
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by eaagaard »

hokiehead wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am admittedly, I'm pedantic about these things, so apologies if my response annoys anyone.

favorite 14er that I've climbed is probably Holy Cross (up Halos Ridge route, down standard) because the two routes I did were both fantastic and reading up on the Holy Cross Couloir route makes it sound epic.
A fellow pedant! Isn’t it Halo Ridge and not Halos Ridge? :) :wink: