Which approach is best for Turret Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tonythetiger
14ers: 58 
13ers: 61
Trip Reports (0)

Which approach is best for Turret Peak?

Post by tonythetiger »

We are planning to climb Turret Peak this coming weekend via a backpack from Needleton. We are trying to decide which approach to take, Ruby Creek or North Pigeon Creek. We took the latter when we climbed Pigeon several years ago and did not like that approach, but I have heard that the Ruby Creek approach is not much fun either. Any input welcome, especially if you have hiked on both approaches.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Which approach is best for Turret Peak?

Post by desertdog »

I’ve hiked both. I climbed Pigeon and Turret form North Pigeon. As a matter a fact I was just in Rudy, climbing Monitor Animas etc. We hiked from Purgatory , but from Needleton it took us two and a half hours to reach Ruby lake. The trail is not bad but there is some dead fall. I would do Turret from North Pigeon but the catch is water. If someone else says there’s water great. There might not be any in North Pigeon this time of year. That said, I would do the sure thing and go from Ruby. Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

It seems like they would likely be very similar but North Pigeon steeper and a couple of miles shorter round trip as you just take on the fall line more directly from the river then when you wrap around into the ruby basin. Ruby would require a 200-300 decent into ruby drainage from the ridge and reclimb on the way back out that North Pigeon doesn't require. I did ruby this year and North Pigeon Creek in 2015 and feel there was more dead fall in Ruby but maybe a lot more has dropped in the past 6 years on North Pigeon. I guess if I were you and hadn't seen Ruby before I would do ruby as it is a special spot. Both will be steep and require "the Weminuche entrance fee" but I don't see how you go wrong either way really. Have a great trip!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60200

Some good info in here. I havent done north pigeon, and ruby basin is a big pain to get into, but super beautiful and worth the effort.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
tonythetiger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tonythetiger »

Thanks everyone for the great information. If anyone has been up North Pigeon recently and has information on water availability from Pigeon Creek, please chime in.
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

tonythetiger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:26 pm Thanks everyone for the great information. If anyone has been up North Pigeon recently and has information on water availability from Pigeon Creek, please chime in.
I just got back from Ruby Basin today. The water above treeline is at a trickle. When I crossed Pigeon Creek from below where it intersects the Animas River it was completely dry. Not sure what it looks like from that side above treeline.
It's a mountain: get over it.
tonythetiger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tonythetiger »

Thanks, Wild Wanderer for the update. BTW, I really enjoy your tip reports. They are quite useful.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I was there 8/31 and there was plenty of water from N Pigeon Creek, right where it crossed the main trail, but further up in the high reaches of the basin, it's difficult to get to. I went through a liter getting from the train stop to my camp spot at 9100. So I filled up a liter at the stream to double my water for the climb of Pigeon and Turret, then arrived back there, dry and thirsty afterwards.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

We were just there 2 days ago (N pigeon) and found a good clean source at 11k which we filled at up and down. It is the north branch of the upper creek that is flowing decently. I'm not sure how close to the trail this is since I kept losing the actual trail above 9k