Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by Ptglhs »

The sign on the route makes for a great turnaround spot, or place to pee before continuing on to Lindsey, Huerfano, or the Iron Nipple, depending on your goals and perspectives vis-a-vis private ownership of the commons.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

It is completely ridiculous that someone can get called a Marxist on a hiking forum for supporting access and public lands. Republicans are generally hostile towards public lands, access, and the environment and generally seem to want to lock you in your house and yard I've been to lily lake th. Even before the lawsuit you couldn't pull off a country road and park and the road got worse after the last ranch. They might not be super friendly towards hikers. So it is mystifying that hikers support private property rights in this.

But if you want to call me a Marxist i might as well point out, I tend to consider birders, hikers, people who enjoy the outdoors and are right wingers as freeloaders (or did you want me to be PC and not say it.) I'm not saying that the Democrats are perfect on these issues, I am saying that the Republicans tend to be hostile, and that's one reason I stopped voting for them long ago.I've had these people give me grief and look down their nose at me for being a Democrat while they sit there and do little or nothing to protect outdoor access and our natural treasures
Last edited by Above_Treeline on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

It ricks me off Mt. Lindsey is closed to hikers, given it is named for a hiker, Malcolm Lindsey of the Juniors of the Colorado Mountain Club. It was apparently one of his favorites.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Midwestlungs wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:28 am
Above_Treeline wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 am It is completely ridiculous that someone can get called a Marxist on a hiking forum for supporting access and public lands. Republicans are generally hostile towards public lands, access, and the environment and generally seem to want to lock you in your house and yard I've been to lily lake th. Even before the lawsuit you couldn't pull off a country road and park and the road got worse after the last ranch. They might not be super friendly towards hikers. So it is mystifying that hikers support private property rights in this.

But if you want to call me a Marxist i might as well point out, I tend to consider birders, hikers, people who enjoy the outdoors and are right wingers as freeloaders (or did you want me to be PC and not say it.) I'm not saying that the Democrats are perfect on these issues, I am saying that the Republicans tend to be hostile, and that's one reason I stopped voting for them long ago.I've had these people give me grief and look down their nose at me for being a Democrat while they sit there and do little or nothing to protect outdoor access and our natural treasures

Please keep your political rants out of this forum. Nobody cares
That is very impressive Midwestlungs for completing all the 6'ers east of the Mississippi! Quite the accomplishment. And not just for completing them but for enduring the heat, wet, damp, humid, bushwhacking, with virtually 0 summit views except for the tree in front of you!
I did Mt. Gibbes, Hallback, and Mitchell with the intent of completing the one's in NC and TN but after doing those, I said I'd never do another after being spoiled by the Rocky Mountains.

How many 6'ers is that btw?
I should be on a mountain
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:57 am How many 6'ers is that btw?
I had no idea that the east of the Mississippi had that many 6,000 ft points. I had to look it up.

https://www.mountainzone.com/map/map-southern-sixers/
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 am
I had no idea that the east of the Mississippi had that many 6,000 ft points. I had to look it up.

I was looking at going for the patch they give you from the South Beyond 6000 club if you completed them. I did 3! Lol
I'm waiting for the LiDAR measurements to come out for the new 6'er list. Lol
Though, they are very beautiful, tranquil, gentle mountains. Viewing them from the Blue Ridge Parkway when they are embedded with clouds (smoke like) are just gorgeous.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Why is it called “6ers east of Mississippi”? The only states that far east that have 6ers are Tennessee, North Carolina and Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.
Be the best you that you can be.
letitbeirie
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letitbeirie »

Salient wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Why is it called “6ers east of Mississippi”? The only states that far east that have 6ers are Tennessee, North Carolina and Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.
Technically Green Mountain is a 6er but the comparison seems a little unfair since the lowest point you can see from the summit is around 4800' or so (on a clear day).
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

That's just how one refers to them. Mt. Mitchell is the tallest east of the Mississippi.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I did a trip last Dec where I hiked clingman's dome (from the winter closure) in addition to 13 other state high points. Did Mitchell and Craig in Feb of 19, and hit up Washington a couple months ago. I enjoyed fall the best, though winter had a kind of special beauty to the peaks as well. I don't know that I'll ever be able to go back in a spring, and summer on most of them would be too hot for me. Don't think a peak is easy just because it's under in elevation from where you live. Katahdin (not a 6er) kicked my ass.

Shameless self promotion but I did a trip report for 2 out of 3 of my seasons of high pointing. Hopefully will be done with the 3rd: Midwest, mid Atlantic, New England, and upper Midwest this week.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Midwestlungs wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Just what I call it. So I don’t have to say “6ers in Tennessee, North Carolina, and New Hampshire”
After thinking about this. Looking at a map, though the Mississippi River doesn't split the U.S. exactly in half it is close. Makes sense that's where it comes from. It's close to dividing the States in half from East and West.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Midwestlungs wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:28 am
Above_Treeline wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 am It is completely ridiculous that someone can get called a Marxist on a hiking forum for supporting access and public lands. Republicans are generally hostile towards public lands, access, and the environment and generally seem to want to lock you in your house and yard I've been to lily lake th. Even before the lawsuit you couldn't pull off a country road and park and the road got worse after the last ranch. They might not be super friendly towards hikers. So it is mystifying that hikers support private property rights in this.

Please keep your political rants out of this forum. Nobody cares
No.

If you don't care about 14er's access, and public lands, keep your opinion to yourself. .

Access and politics are absolutely related. If you like mallwalking keep voting republican