How do you feel about reservation work-arounds?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How do you feel about reservation work-arounds?

Post by SkaredShtles »

I also personally think that train should be eliminated completely. It's a menace to the forest. Let it run up and down the valley, but don't allow it through the canyon any more.
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

Common goods (e.g. the mountains that we love to climb) are subject to the tragedy of the commons. Acting in my own self interest, my use of a trail and public land has a nonzero impact on the land, and negatively impacts it for those who wish to use it in the future. Adherence to LNT minimizes, but does not fully eliminate this problem. Many also do not adhere to LNT principles, which depletes the resource more quickly. The most simple solutions to the tragedy of the commons are privatization, fees, or permits. I don't particularly like having any of these as barriers to entry into the mountains, but I also understand that they are oftentimes necessary to preserve them for both my future use, and for the use of future generations.

I don't have much else to contribute to this discussion, but since we are talking about the train again, be sure to treat yourself to this catchy little tune:
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

crossfitter wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 am
I think the phrase you are looking for is, "happily pardoned after expressing their 2nd amendment rights.
Pilgrim expressing his 2nd Amendment rights….
AD8DE145-C98B-42C2-B20A-86E02837D43C.jpeg
AD8DE145-C98B-42C2-B20A-86E02837D43C.jpeg (187.23 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Aphelion wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:49 am all that's really required is to add a couple miles of approach (Brainard)
Can anyone provide some info on this possibility? I've got a friend visiting this weekend and we are hoping to do Eagles Nest to Powell in the Gores but looking for a backup in case weather looks too sketchy to be up there. I was thinking about IPW as a backup with more bailout/hunker down options but forgot about the timed entry since I've only been there in the winter so far.

Can you park in the winter lot without a timed entry permit? Is there a different place to park that's within a couple miles I should use? I'm planning to arrive around 4am but apparently you can't beat the Brainard system that way, you need a reservation to be there at all.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:06 pm Can you park in the winter lot without a timed entry permit?
Yes
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

climbnowworklater wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am I feel bad for today's mountaineers. The days of picking a peak, driving out, and climbing it; are over.
If they are over, no one told me about it. I have hiked or climbed on 212 days so far this year and havent had to get any reservations for anything I have done so far.

I'll go to Chicago Basin later this month and needed one for that, but that will likely be the lone example out of all the rest of the days.

To be honest it's actually been pretty lonely. In those 212 days I have only run into a few people. Colorado is mostly empty and I'm sitting on top of a peak right now. I wonder where the nearest other person is? Five miles? Ten miles? The only noise is the wind. The sky, mountain, trees, and flowers are all I can see.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

dwoodward13 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:22 pm Yes
Thanks, and apologies for bumping such an old thread, just couldn't find a good answer from a search!
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:24 pm Specific to the two areas you asked about, the Weminuche Wilderness itself has no limits or reservations (yet!), so the number of groups is strictly coming from the train, they are saying 9 groups of up to 15 people per group. So that could be 9 people or it could be 135 people. It seems rather arbitrary. If they want to limit the number of people, then I think they should come up with a number but this method is just weird to me. They seem to be encouraging strangers to group up and "beat the system".

Similarly, Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness does not limit day hiker numbers. There are some areas with overnight limits, but nothing limiting day hikers. I see the Maroon Lake restrictions as being all about parking, so if you have room in your car why not carpool? Their website even says 6am-8am private vehicle drop-offs are allowed, those people just need a one-way downhill shuttle reservation to get out (or walk/bike the road). Carpooling with someone with a parking reservation seems legit to me.

As far as protection and limiting visitors, it seems to me the efforts have so far largely focused on parking and not general access. There are no limits to the numbers of people who can walk or bike to an area for day hiking to the vast majority of places. The only specific trail that you need a reservation to hike at all that I know of for sure is Hanging Lake, which does have a reservation for hiking the trail, even if you don't take the shuttle (i.e. bike to the TH, or hike from a different rest stop like Shoshone).

I don't know for sure how walk-ins or bikes work at RMNP or Brainard Lake, however, does anyone know if you can park somewhere else and walk-in or bike in or if you still need a reservation?
+1. As usual, Chicago Transplant has it figured out. I think it is mostly about parking. Tagging along in someone's car is cool. I am more ambivalent on purposely evading the permit system. That may change next summer once I try to climb in the Elks.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Thanks Sean! I should of noted that while there are no restrictions on total people, Wilderness areas do limit individual group sizes and large groups should check the individual regs for the areas they are visiting, usually around 10-15 people per group.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:06 pm Can anyone provide some info on this possibility? I've got a friend visiting this weekend and we are hoping to do Eagles Nest to Powell in the Gores but looking for a backup in case weather looks too sketchy to be up there. I was thinking about IPW as a backup with more bailout/hunker down options but forgot about the timed entry since I've only been there in the winter so far.

Can you park in the winter lot without a timed entry permit? Is there a different place to park that's within a couple miles I should use? I'm planning to arrive around 4am but apparently you can't beat the Brainard system that way, you need a reservation to be there at all.
You can park at lot just before entrance without restriction. On weekends that lot fills up completely.

Then its an easy extra four miles walk round trip to the Long Lake or Mitchell Lake trailheads. Or you can do a "justiner" and bike to those trailheads.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

"I'll go to Chicago Basin later this month and needed one for that, but that will likely be the lone example out of all the rest of the days."

I hope that's not the future of all 14ers like Chi Ba, Elks, Culebra, Lindsey?..etc. We, of course, didn't have any of these obstacles on hiking 14ers in the past and that was my point.

And I hear you Scott. If you change parameters, there are still lonely peaks out there. I've seen you make that post for over 10 years now. I heeded your advice in a way. I live at 11k next to a 13er no one cares about. I purposely did this in hopes it won't be overrun in my last 30 years of hiking on this earth. Already, in 5 years, crowds are picking up though...sigh.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

This thread has a crazy amount of tangents. I think we all instinctively detest the pain and ass of permit systems and thus avoid them when possible. What we are bitching about is that we live in a state that has wonderful wilderness areas and the secret got out years ago-so people have flocked to CO for the mountain lifestyle. I can't blame them! So while I might not like limits, permits, etc., I do understand the purpose.

My first time to Conundrum Basin was in 2005. I camped by the hot springs with some friends. I was glad in the morning to see a ranger giving a Boy Scout troop leader a ticket. The codger had reserved three different spots for his leaders and kids to get around the 15 person maximum. Good lesson for the kids to see that trying to cheat/work around the system is well, not honest, which is one of those 10 values of Scouting.

Anyhow, I'll shut up now.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.