Mt Antero via Little Browns Creek

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Mt Antero via Little Browns Creek

Post by WanderingJim »

So, hiking south on the Colorado Trial, I've gotten some tracks and info on climbing Mt Mt Antero from the east via Little Browns Creek. Gary Roach's Book and Summit Post among other sources.

But it worries me that this great site doesn't have a route listed for that approach.

Is there anything to worry about if I approach via via Little Browns Creek?
strayster2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Antero via Little Browns Creek

Post by strayster2 »

WanderingJim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm Is there anything to worry about if I approach via via Little Browns Creek?
Yes, that everyone else will find out about it :-$
WanderingJim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

strayster2 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 pm Yes, that everyone else will find out about it :-$
About what? :-"
brousseau
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brousseau »

There's nothing to worry about. I took it last year instead of the standard route. It's a nice peaceful hike until you meet up with the standard route near the top. Cars are able to drive almost to the peak and I hiked it to avoid dust from the road.
Instagram: @jbparker_co
rgsaxman
14ers: 46  3 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rgsaxman »

I found it to be straight-forward with nice camping options along the way.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Early on that trail you will come to a split where one trail goes to Brown's Creek/Brown's Lake and the other continues to Antero via LITTLE Brown's Creek drainage. Be sure to locate this split and take the trail that cuts back to the right (am pretty sure it is a switchback there). I think this is also the trail that can be a little confusing a little later on where it coincides (or simply intersects) briefly with the CO Trail. This can be missed on the return descent and you may go in the wrong direction using the CO Trail (guess who took the wrong direction briefly last summer ](*,) ). I recommend this route and enjoyed it being a bit shorter, however, it's still 5k+ vertical. This TR describes this well, with photos... https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20286 Nothing else to worry about that I remember other than a lot of dead trees higher up that would be ominous in windy conditions as they were for me last year. Also, note your route on the way up above treeline to make sure you descend the same route on the way down. Not very tricky up high but I did get off trail linking the upper slopes of Antero with the Little Brown's Creek drainage.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

WanderingJim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm So, hiking south on the Colorado Trial, I've gotten some tracks and info on climbing Mt Mt Antero from the east via Little Browns Creek. Gary Roach's Book and Summit Post among other sources.

But it worries me that this great site doesn't have a route listed for that approach.

This SHOULD be the "standard" route for Antero.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
GordoByrn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GordoByrn »

Great route.

Here's my Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4152775668

It got a little tricky on the way up when we were above treeline. We tried to cut a tangent up to the road.

Would have been better to go all the way up the valley then turn right and take the road up.

Water was available all the way up the valley.

Stunning views.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

WanderingJim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm So, hiking south on the Colorado Trial, I've gotten some tracks and info on climbing Mt Mt Antero from the east via Little Browns Creek. Gary Roach's Book and Summit Post among other sources.

Then when you climb it via little browns creek, take lots of photos and add the route yourself.

Once you start climbing 13ers, prepare for no official "route" listed either. Theres plenty of trip reports on it.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

GordoByrn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 am Great route.

Here's my Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4152775668

It got a little tricky on the way up when we were above treeline. We tried to cut a tangent up to the road.

Would have been better to go all the way up the valley then turn right and take the road up.

Water was available all the way up the valley.

Stunning views.
Strava link not working . . . at least for me on Brave
WanderingJim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

greenonion wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 am
Thanks, that will be very useful!
GordoByrn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GordoByrn »

Working at my end but maybe that's because I'm logged into Strava.

My gpx is too large to attach here so I'll upload the gpx to the library.

g
Last edited by GordoByrn on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.