12ers near BV

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justinae
Trip Reports (0)

12ers near BV

Post by justinae »

Hi. I'm headed to BV late August to do a few 14ers, but will have some folks looking for lighter fare stuff. Are there any 12ers near BV, or even better, use either Missouri Gulch or Denny Creek TH?

thanks!
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: 12ers near BV

Post by supranihilest »

Here's a map of 12ers in the state: https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/gmape.php?s=CO&e=12

There aren't any starting from Missouri Gulch or Denny Creek specifically, but there are a number in the Buena Vista area. I haven't done too many there, but can recommend Point 12,580 C and Wander Ridge from Cottonwood Pass, both of which are an easy stroll, and I also enjoyed Jones Mountain North, which you can access from Ptarmigan Lake trailhead or County Road 344 (easy 4WD) and Grassy Gulch (rough 4WD or hike the road). The latter's a bit of off-trail work but nothing crazy, and no scrambling involved.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

From Denny Creek where the trail splits off to Yale they could keep going up the Browns Pass trail and climb unnamed 12955. Trail all the way to treeline at the pass, then they would follow the ridge to the summit. https://listsofjohn.com/peak/855

Or as noted above, drive to Cottonwood Pass for 12580/Wander Ridge, or the opposite side of the pass for 12581 and Turner. Turner is a 13er, but Cottonwood Pass is at over 12k so with the high trailhead is not much effort. I would think it would qualify as "lighter fare" given the high trailhead, but they would have to reclimb 12581 on the way back to the car, but still only about 2200' of elevation gain total.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
justinae
Trip Reports (0)

Post by justinae »

Thank you for the suggestions and map!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Birthday Peak and other 12ers are fairly close to Columbia and Harvard.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.