Sundog > Sunshine > Redcloud beta requested

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Sundog > Sunshine > Redcloud beta requested

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

I plan to do the Sundog > Sunshine> Redcloud linkup soon, and I’ve read every trip report I could find that covers Sundog. Some say it’s better to ascend it first then up to Sunshine and some say the opposite. I’m looking for some beta from those who have done it (in either direction).

My thoughts were to ascend sundog first so by the end of the hike it’s just a nice stroll down Redcloud. I also didn’t want to start with Redcloud, do Sunshine then get tired and be tempted to take the NW face route down since it’s known to be a bad route to descend. I’ve done link-ups before so I don’t see that scenario happening, but there’s always the possibility.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Some notes:
I’ve done Kelso Ridge so the exposure and gullys on the ridge b/w Sundog & Shine shouldn’t be an issue.
I plan to wait till a day that we have a decent weather window (I know the roads have been getting washed out lately).
I’ve done Sheridan/Sherman/Gemini/Dyer link up so I’m prepared to be up high for the better part of a day, my only worry is my partner who gets pretty burned out by the 3rd peak)
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sundog > Sunshine > Redcloud beta requested

Post by DaveLanders »

I've done this by going up Sundog first, and that's my recommendation for how to do it. I prefer to go up steeper terrain (bad knees) plus in this case it comes early in the day so you are still fresh
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I did Sundog after Sunshine and it wasn't much effort to go up, relatively short and solid, light scramble. Lost the trail around treeline on descent, but a bit steep bushwhack had me popping out lower down the trail and the whole loop was a few hours. Getting most of the miles and gain going up on a good trail is usually my preference. I made great time going up Redcloud, one of my fastest 14er ascents. Also the 14ers had priority so did them first. Although starting with sundog would allow you to tack on the two cents after redcloud if you're up for it.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I did Sundog last and would reccomend it for 2 reasons similar to what cougar said. First, because you likely be starting in the dark and you'll make much better time on the Redcloud trail than going up a bushwack scree slope. Second, the ridge going up Sundog from Sunshine saddle is a fun scramble and those are always better ascending.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

cougar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:03 amAlthough starting with sundog would allow you to tack on the two cents after redcloud if you're up for it.
This is how I did it: Sundog -> Sunshine -> Redcloud -> out-and-back to 13,832 and 13,811 (trip report). If your partner is going to be tired you can leave off the unnamed centennials. I'd recommend doing it in this order so you have a trail at the end of the day when you're both tired. You don't want to bonk halfway between Sunshine and "Sundog" and have to choose whether to go back over the 14ers or continue up "Sundog"'s scramble and down its somewhat unpleasant north ridge, then across the mess of avalanche debris choking the creek. Better to get the hard stuff out of the way first and then zombie your way through the 14er trail if you have to.

Note: do NOT look for alternate ways off Sunshine or Redcloud, the ONLY safe and easy way off either of the 14ers is to take the standard trail back over Redcloud. The western flanks of those peaks might seem tantalizing to get down quick but they're quite dangerous. There's even a sign somewhere in between Redcloud and Sunshine imploring hikers not to descend into the western basin for that reason.
20191110_113938.jpg
20191110_113938.jpg (323.86 KiB) Viewed 975 times
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

When I did this loop, I did sundog>sunshine>redcloud as well, I think that's a better route as the scramble up sunshine from sundog can be pretty fun if you stay near thae crest of the West ridge. There is only one loose scree gully coming off sundog to the saddle with sunshine that was a little sketch but it's about 40 feet of descent and I'd rather go down that than up it as well. I'd say it's mostly class 2+ with maybe one class 3 move. Once you hit sunshine the rest of the day is easy class 1 on good trail so you can cruise and enjoy the views
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

Concerning the ridge between the Suns: is it any bit comparable to parts of Kelso?

And the bushwhack+steepness shouldn't be too bad whichever direction we decide to go after doing Precipice, that was steep and the downed trees were so thick!

Thank you all for your input!
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation
colin j
14ers: 45  3 
13ers: 103 10
Trip Reports (5)

Post by colin j »

Also +1 for Sundog first to Sunshine then Redcloud.

The North Ridge of Sundog, especially near the bottom and for some other short stretches is quite steep and may be miserable on tired legs. I also felt that descending the trail from Redcloud allowed me to go at a casual pace and really enjoy the scenery.

I struggle to call Sundog a real scramble; there is only an occasional class 3 move and in some cases it's really a tradeoff of doing a C3 move or working on a loose stretch of C2 terrain.