How to do Bells and Pyramid in same day w/o parking?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: How to do Bells and Pyramid in same day w/o parking?

Post by thebeave7 »

There's no sleeping or camping at the trailhead parking areas. They've long enforced that. Also, you can no longer just get there early and pay the parking fee without a reservation, they can ticket you.
And they're not telling you when to hike, the permit system just means you need to plan ahead and reserve parking. Midnight-midnight parking reservation means you've got 24h to climb, run or whatever, just gotta plan ahead. Parking passes to become available last minute sometimes, just keep an eye on the site.

Otherwise, you could start at the Capitol Creek TH and finish at Castle Creek and just climb all the Elks in one go.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
noob_hiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by noob_hiker »

I parked in the free 24hr commuter parking lot at Buttermilk and cycled in. It's 1,800ft elevation and 11 miles, which nearly killed me, BUT the bike out made it all worth it. I felt like Lance Armstrong.
i hike so i can eat unhealthily
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Silly question, do electric bikes get the same exemptions as regular bikes? Is there a high risk of getting one stolen if it's left with a relatively good lock but for a long period of time?
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:48 am Silly question, do electric bikes get the same exemptions as regular bikes? Is there a high risk of getting one stolen if it's left with a relatively good lock but for a long period of time?
I doubt any bike at that TH could be stolen easily as long as you have a good lock. Theres always people there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Posthole Pete
14ers: 32  28  5 
13ers: 161 101 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Posthole Pete »

thebeave7 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:11 am There's no sleeping or camping at the trailhead parking areas. They've long enforced that. Also, you can no longer just get there early and pay the parking fee without a reservation, they can ticket you.
And they're not telling you when to hike, the permit system just means you need to plan ahead and reserve parking. Midnight-midnight parking reservation means you've got 24h to climb, run or whatever, just gotta plan ahead. Parking passes to become available last minute sometimes, just keep an eye on the site.

Otherwise, you could start at the Capitol Creek TH and finish at Castle Creek and just climb all the Elks in one go.

Eric
Can anyone confirm or deny that you can no longer just get there early?
It does seem like a gray area because I am hearing both sides of the coin from different people.
I have yet to ever make it up to the lake but if its anything like National Parks or Mt Evans, you can just go in there early.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

JaredJohnson wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:48 am Silly question, do electric bikes get the same exemptions as regular bikes? Is there a high risk of getting one stolen if it's left with a relatively good lock but for a long period of time?
I've left my bike at that trailhead for multiple days, with nothing but a small cable lock. It's Aspen, not Brooklyn.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:12 am It's Aspen, not Brooklyn.
What would be acceptable amount of money to leave after stealing a bike (let's say used, beater or commuter) in Aspen area?

Considering the fact that $29 was voted not enough for 18 beers from Animas River (out of which 6 were Coors tall boys), I thought I should ask.

I recall that I've found $30 on the patio from where my bike was stolen (paid $150 for it, used in decent condition), but that was while ago in the heart of NJ, not Aspen.
justiner
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I would assume no money is changed hands. Rather a cruiser bike complete with basket is left in place of your own, and in that basket is a fluffy dog - If I'm correctly sizing up the types of bikes and bike riders usually found in Aspen.
JennMolls_soft_large.PNG.jpg
JennMolls_soft_large.PNG.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
justiner
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Although watch out for this guy
Lance_grande.jpg
Lance_grande.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

noob_hiker wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:08 am I parked in the free 24hr commuter parking lot at Buttermilk and cycled in. It's 1,800ft elevation and 11 miles, which nearly killed me, BUT the bike out made it all worth it. I felt like Lance Armstrong.
Did you get an IV bag of the good stuff? Make you climb faster?
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:27 pm Although watch out for this guy

Lance_grande.jpg
Think I saw him riding up Maroon Creek Rd. with couple of kids, actually it could be on the same day I've met you on the trail. And I'm nearly convinced I saw Lindsey Vonn riding up, but one can never be sure you know, helmet, shades, Aspen being full of spectacular blondes, aaahhh... :oops: If I wasn't tripping then that was such amazing, once in the lifetime, starstruck trifecta.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I believe you can also get in that area from the crested Butte side.