Sunlight Peak Summit Block

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Sunlight Peak Summit Block

Post by WVMountaineer »

The video below is a 1st and 3rd person perspective of climbing the Sunlight Peak summit block if this helps anyone with what to expect. The person in the video is my wife who is not a very experienced rock climber but has been a few times and has done 14 14ers if that helps you gauge her experience level. She's also 5'11".

I did the Chicago Basin 14ers 2 years ago on my way to finishing the 58 but rushed through all 4 summits and caught the train out same day. I went back 2 weeks ago to enjoy it at a slower pace and took some friends. I packed in a rope to give the Sunlight Spire an attempt so I had it on me when we made it to the summit of Sunlight Peak after Windom that same day. I set up the rope and some protection so the other 6 members of my group could safely climb the summit block without worry of death. It still wouldn't have been a great place to take a protected fall but luckily nobody did. BTW the slings that are up there are all pretty shredded and shouldn't be trusted as an anchor.

"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Sunlight Peak Summit Block

Post by randalmartin »

Not really useful with the Go Pro, too close to the rock to get any real perspective in my opinion. Video is better taken by someone else standing back from climber.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

randalmartin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:21 pm Video is better taken by someone else standing back from climber.
Which is exactly what the sub-video in the top right corner is that comes in around 20 seconds... I understand the issue with GoPros and I agree. This just shows both perspectives at the same time. People are always posting on here about the summit block moves so I'm just trying to add a data point to be helpful.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Wow. And she's four inches taller than me and was sweating it. Gives me something to look forward to. 8)
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Here is my video of the summit block.

https://youtu.be/1lXCnOtawtw
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
MKwhite45
14ers: 35 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MKwhite45 »

Oh wow. I liked having both perspectives! I also just kept thinking, she’s 5’11 lol I’m 5’4. That’ll look much different for me, but it was nice to see hand/feet placement from both angles.
Great work to everyone! Thanks for the video
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 pm Here is my video of the summit block.

You make it look so easy. What's your height, if you don't mind?
MKwhite45
14ers: 35 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MKwhite45 »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 pm Here is my video of the summit block.

I’ve seen this one before, I think in a trip report? Gives me the ~chills~ lol is that what it’s like to be fearless and tall? :lol:
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Altitude High wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:20 pm You make it look so easy. What's your height, if you don't mind?
6’2” so the big steps are pretty easy for me. The rock is great quality and has super grip.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

I prefer the GoPro view. Gives a great perspective of just how small the summit is and the exposure that’s involved!

Thanks for sharing.
I should be on a mountain
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

How’d the spire go?

I was on sunlight when the rock was wet but that crack made it doable. I’m tall so I was able to just take a giant step instead of a leap of faith to get off the top.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

This is the *only* way to do Sunlight... :wink:
IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6669.JPG (138.54 KiB) Viewed 1875 times