Sherman Trailhead Impacts

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Sherman Trailhead Impacts

Post by Scott P »

Just an FYI:

https://www.codot.gov/projects/us285-s- ... eplacement

August through October US285 will be closed from the south end of Fairplay to Antero Junction.

Edit: Good news! Recreational access will be allowed. You'll just have to access Fourmile Creek Road from the north since the bridge over the South Platte will be out.
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Sherman Trailhead closure

Post by HikerGuy »

Sounds similar to the detour they had for the passing lane widening a few years ago. Are they doing something similar? Another stretch of passing lanes? Or will it be for bridge widenings? I saw work starting at the Weston Pass turnoff. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: It's the latter, bridge replacement. https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/june-20 ... nouncement

CDOT Project Website (closing/detour details): https://www.codot.gov/projects/us285-s- ... eplacement
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sherman Trailhead Impacts

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm I am the #2 person on this project...
Scott, do you work for CDOT?
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm

On the map, it does appear that the highway closure might possibly be bypassed on gravel roads to get to Fourmile Creek. I don't know the status of those roads, but when I have time I'll see if it's a viable alternative.
Thanks, Scott. This is important to me because I was going to knock this one out in early September and was also introducing a newbie on this route. I see a couple of ways to reach four mile creek road on google maps (see below), though the condition of those particular gravel roads and the ability to access them will be paramount. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.

1. Access from 9 north of Fairplay:
2. Take right on 14.
3. Take left on Busch Run Road.
4. Take right on Coil Drive and follow it all the way to Four Mile Creek Road.
5. (An alternate and possibly shorter route is right on Coil, left on Wheat Way, left on Vine Road, and then left on Coil Drive to 18.
6. Right on 18 (Four Mile Creek Road)

If 285 is open past the middle fork of South Platte River the following could be a potential back road fix:
1. Take right on Platte Drive.
2. Take left on Busch Run Road.
3. Take left on Coil Drive.
4. Follow steps 4 or 5, and 6 above.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Scott P wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm I am the #2 person on this project...
Scott, do you work for CDOT?
Consultant. I used to work for CDOT; now I'm on the private side.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good news! Recreational access will be allowed. You'll just have to access Fourmile Creek Road from the north since the bridge over the South Platte will be out.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Resurrecting this thread. Just saw on a CDOT website that US 285 thru South Park (from south of Fairplay to Antero Junction) will be closed starting July 11 for the bridge project that was originally planned for last year. Detour will be CO 9 and US 24.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm Just an FYI:

August through October US285 will be closed from the south end of Fairplay to Antero Junction.

Edit: Good news! Recreational access will be allowed. You'll just have to access Fourmile Creek Road from the north since the bridge over the South Platte will be out.
Thanks much for this post! I plan on hiking Mount Sherman sometime in July, probably after July 11.

I wasn't able to find the South Platte river on Google maps, but if I understand correctly, since I'm coming from the Dillon area, I can just take CO 9 to Fairplay and then US 285 south to Four Mile Creek road as normal. Does that sound right?

Thanks again!
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

mgl45 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 pm
Scott P wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm Just an FYI:

Thanks much for this post! I plan on hiking Mount Sherman sometime in July, probably after July 11.

I wasn't able to find the South Platte river on Google maps, but if I understand correctly, since I'm coming from the Dillon area, I can just take CO 9 to Fairplay and then US 285 south to Four Mile Creek road as normal. Does that sound right?

Thanks again!
The other thing you could do Iowa gulch from leadville area. Not sure if that's easier to get to from Dillon though
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

So it looks like this thread is a year old. However closure is delayed til this year in July if I'm reading correctly?

Is it just the bridge that's closed and you can go to the bridge and also around the other side via detour? The original post made it sound like maybe entire 285 closed
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

Above_Treeline wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:08 pm So it looks like this thread is a year old. However closure is delayed til this year in July if I'm reading correctly?

Is it just the bridge that's closed and you can go to the bridge and also around the other side via detour? The original post made it sound like maybe entire 285 closed
Oh wow, somehow I totally missed this was a year old thread, do see the comment that it was delayed to this year.

Does anyone know where the South Platte river bridge is, like is it north or south of Fourmile Creek on US 285? I can't find the South Platte river on Google Maps. Thanks much if anyone knows and has a minute to share.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

mgl45 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:43 pm Does anyone know where the South Platte river bridge is, like is it north or south of Fourmile Creek on US 285? I can't find the South Platte river on Google Maps. Thanks much if anyone knows and has a minute to share.
South, a lot South. It's about halfway between Fairplay and Antero Junction. If you zoom waaaaaay in on Google maps you can see South Fork of South Platte. It's very close to the standard access for the Buffalo Peaks.