First time summiter- a few thoughts

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: First time summiter- a few thoughts

Post by rijaca »

ultimategully wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:32 pm I don't have kids but I don't see the problem leaving them on the shoulder while you sprint up to the summit and back, especially on reasonably safe peaks like Beirstadt.. geez
Please don't have kids. Separating from a nine year old on their first 14er is irresponsible. Period.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
zephyr_pelicante
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (34)

Post by zephyr_pelicante »

Sit back and relax folks. We got a good one brewing here. I can't wait to read everyone's opinions about the ethics of leaving a 9 year old 200' away from the summit. Cooking up the popcorn now fam
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

zephyr_pelicante wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:05 pm Sit back and relax folks. We got a good one brewing here. I can't wait to read everyone's opinions about the ethics of leaving a 9 year old 200' away from the summit. Cooking up the popcorn now fam
I am kind of hoping that the Huron trip report where a guy drove/parked on tundra with his jeep will pick up some steam, haha. A little forum spice now and then is a guilty pleasure; although, I must say that the boards have been pleasant the past few months for a change, so not too much.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:17 pm
zephyr_pelicante wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:05 pm Sit back and relax folks. We got a good one brewing here. I can't wait to read everyone's opinions about the ethics of leaving a 9 year old 200' away from the summit. Cooking up the popcorn now fam
I am kind of hoping that the Huron trip report where a guy drove/parked on tundra with his jeep will pick up some steam, haha. A little forum spice now and then is a guilty pleasure; although, I must say that the boards have been pleasant the past few months for a change, so not too much.

I gave it the Huron Report a thumbs down. Maybe that'll help, there's 7 dislikes now.

Happy 1st Bierstadt summit, OP. Hope the 9 year old enjoyed it, and wants to summit the next one.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

gosh.... someday i truly hope to be as absolutely perfect as all of you are.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I won't give my opinion on the matter, but this will be entertaining. I WILL present some facts to the upcoming debate.

The climbing group were newbies from much lower locales.
Although the saddle to summit may only be 200-300 feet in elevation, it is not in distance. Depending on your route or where you measure from, I'm guessing its close to a quarter mile away. Certainly more than a couple hundred yards, but less than 500.
The saddle to summit line is out of sight.
The saddle to summit is out of shouting/hearing distance.
The saddle to summit is a boulder field which involves a degree of scrambling and route finding. It takes nearly the same amount of time to return to the saddle than to reach the summit.
The time to hike from saddle to summit varies on a number of factors, but I'm guessing a first timer and 11 year old will take 15-20 minutes to reach the summit... 10-15 minutes on the return. Maybe more.
Weather conditions were getting sketchy shortly after leaving the summit per the OP.
Yes, there are lots of folks on that trail. LOTS of folks... and all kinds of folks.

Let the games begin.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Oh my god, the horror of a child outside, playing! Sitting and resting! Looking around at the world! Talking with others!

I fail to see how this was bad parenting, irresponsible, or in any way our business. I assume this person knows her kids and their capabilties better than we do.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Would it be better parenting or worse if the kid had a harness and was tied to a rock?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am Lightning fatalities on 14ers are less common than falls.
Of the 71 fatalities on Longs 49 were falls and 3 lightning.
It is certainly scary to be exposed to a storm above treeline.
Roachie says lightning is the biggest objective hazard to summer mountaineering in CO, and Long's has more technical routes with potential for a deadly fall than other 14ers. Lightning storms are scary, but they can be deadly too. No need to minimize that danger
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

rijaca wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm
ultimategully wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:32 pm I don't have kids but I don't see the problem leaving them on the shoulder while you sprint up to the summit and back, especially on reasonably safe peaks like Beirstadt.. geez
Please don't have kids. Separating from a nine year old on their first 14er is irresponsible. Period.
When is it safe to separate from a kid? 12? 16? 18?

Kids gotta learn how to be adults. Parents have to take opportunities to teach kids. By 9 any kid should understand to stay put when told and the dangers of a fall.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:58 pm Would it be better parenting or worse if the kid had a harness and was tied to a rock?
More likely to get a call from DFS, or be on the local news, that way. Also, it makes for a really funny visual.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:58 pm Would it be better parenting or worse if the kid had a harness and was tied to a rock?
Bonus points if at Chuck E Cheese after the hike.