First time summiter- a few thoughts

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: First time summiter- a few thoughts

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Tony the Iguana wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:14 pm Lol you crazy humans and your hangups. After I hatched from the egg, my mom just said "ocean's over there, you eat bugs - they're everywhere, watch out for birds. Peace out." And then she went to sunbathe on some rocks. Of course several of my kin were immediately eaten by gulls, but that's beside the point.
Wasn't it snakes? [YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4I ... l=BBCEarth[/YouTubeVideo]
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
Tony the Iguana
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tony the Iguana »

Stratosfearsome wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 pm
Tony the Iguana wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:14 pm Lol you crazy humans and your hangups. After I hatched from the egg, my mom just said "ocean's over there, you eat bugs - they're everywhere, watch out for birds. Peace out." And then she went to sunbathe on some rocks. Of course several of my kin were immediately eaten by gulls, but that's beside the point.
Wasn't it snakes? [YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4I ... l=BBCEarth[/YouTubeVideo]
I can barely even watch that nightmare-inducing video, although seeing that fella make it up to those rocks was one of the most triumphant moments in televised lizard history. That, and the Godzilla movies.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

zephyr_pelicante wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:05 pm Sit back and relax folks. We got a good one brewing here. I can't wait to read everyone's opinions about the ethics of leaving a 9 year old 200' away from the summit. Cooking up the popcorn now fam
Sometimes it seems people just lurk so that they can jump on someone for the slightest provocation.

Agree. Non issue
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:26 pm Unfortunately I’ll never have to make such a decision since my 14 year old son barely leaves the house and anything requiring even a minimal amount of effort is completely out of the question. Good job raising active kids.
Sad, but true. It’s all the rage for kids to do little or nothing amounting to any exercise. And then, when the sloth has turned into corpulence, people tell them it’s ok to be fat and happy.

Except for it’s not. Diabetes, heart disease, bad joints…a long list of nasty health issues are on their way.

Thank god I tormented my kids by hauling them up mountains. Obesity is not in their future as a result.

14 is still young! Give it a go. They’ll hate you now and thank you a decade from now. Maybe. =D>
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pm
JChitwood wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:26 pm Unfortunately I’ll never have to make such a decision since my 14 year old son barely leaves the house and anything requiring even a minimal amount of effort is completely out of the question. Good job raising active kids.
Sad, but true. It’s all the rage for kids to do little or nothing amounting to any exercise. And then, when the sloth has turned into corpulence, people tell them it’s ok to be fat and happy.

Except for it’s not. Diabetes, heart disease, bad joints…a long list of nasty health issues are on their way.

Thank god I tormented my kids by hauling them up mountains. Obesity is not in their future as a result.

14 is still young! Give it a go. They’ll hate you now and thank you a decade from now. Maybe. =D>
Many thanks for the encouragement Pilgrim. I won’t give up on him.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Kudos to you and your kids. Don't listen to the naysayers. It all depends on the parent and the child. There are some 30 year old people I know I wouldn't leave alone on the shoulder. Keep those kids climbing! And welcome to 14ers.
But, who in the heck is Dr. Foor? :-s
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

painless4u2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 pm Kudos to you and your kids. Don't listen to the naysayers. It all depends on the parent and the child. There are some 30 year old people I know I wouldn't leave alone on the shoulder. Keep those kids climbing! And welcome to 14ers.
But, who in the heck is Dr. Foor? :-s
Here's your answer!

https://youtube.com/c/FoorYourSuccess