Iguana rescue

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Iguana rescue

Post by Jon Frohlich »

dude9478 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:11 pm I might be able to go up Friday. However I have no idea how to handle a 3-4 foot long iguana. Please post more details as they come in. Hopefully someone can get up there before then, I can't imagine an iguana lasting long up there.
I assume its a pet so it might be used to handling? I hope. I'm pondering taking the day off tomorrow and going up there. Which route is it near(er)?
dude9478
14ers: 28 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude9478 »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 pm
dude9478 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:11 pm I might be able to go up Friday. However I have no idea how to handle a 3-4 foot long iguana. Please post more details as they come in. Hopefully someone can get up there before then, I can't imagine an iguana lasting long up there.
I assume its a pet so it might be used to handling? I hope. I'm pondering taking the day off tomorrow and going up there. Which route is it near(er)?
Indeed, hope so. Weather forecast looks pretty ominous tomorrow fwiw.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

jfm3 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:05 pm Someone posted about this on the 14ers Facebook page. It looks real, and apparently someone posted in a different Facebook group that their pet iguana was missing from Halfmoon campground. Wild stuff.
Escaped from Halfmoon campground. Spotted at treeline, or "abandoned near the summit". I smell a rat, and also learned a new word: How many of you ever heard of a "chuckwalla" before today?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

I'm trying to get my brain to accept that this is a real post...

I'm unemployed, so available to help during the week and fairly experienced with schlepping pets around mountains, but currently moving kinda slow uphill. I'll keep an eye on this thread and help where I can, or please pm me.
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Paula wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 pm I'm trying to get my brain to accept that this is a real post...
My post is real and I believe that that the people posting about the iguana are legit. If it is all a sick joke, several people are in on it.several hikers have reported seeing the iguana.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

Scott P wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 pm
Paula wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 pm I'm trying to get my brain to accept that this is a real post...
My post is real and I believe that that the people posting about the iguana are legit. If it is all a sick joke, several people are in on it.several hikers have reported seeing the iguana.
Scott, I absolutely believe you, I just can't believe someone let their pet iguana loose on a mountain...
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I think it’s horsesh!t
:)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Isn't Halfmoon campground by Holy Cross - like 20miles+ from Elbert? One heck of a fast Iguana - could be in New Mexico by now if that info is real...
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

daway8 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:45 pm Isn't Halfmoon campground by Holy Cross - like 20miles+ from Elbert? One heck of a fast Iguana - could be in New Mexico by now if that info is real...
There's a Halfmoon Campground at the base of Mt. Elbert.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

according to the "owner", "he responds to Tony." in my experience, lizards don't respond to much of anything except food.

good luck to anyone looking for him. he's well camouflaged, has plenty of hiding places in those rocks, and will probably run and hide if any people come around, no matter how accustomed he is to people in captivity. his best chance is if he decides to head downhill for food or warmth. or, if global warming continues, he and his kin can eventually replace the mountain goats as CO's official invasive wildlife species.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

I hope some sort of summit-island gigantism and rare gene expression turns this thing into a 25 ft Colorado legend.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:42 pm I think it’s horsesh!t
:)
If it is, that would be a sick joke since some of us are planning to look for the creature and the weather is looking less than ideal.