Betty Bear Hut/Hagerman Pass to Mt Massive Information?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
denverpaoguy
Trip Reports (0)

Betty Bear Hut/Hagerman Pass to Mt Massive Information?

Post by denverpaoguy »

Hello,

My first post here so please direct me if I'm missing anything on this topic (I did search Hagerman Pass and didn't find any relevant info)...

A few friends and I are renting Betty Bear Hut in mid July and are considering a hike to Mt Massive from the hut or potentially Hagerman Pass. Has anyone done this route or have any links to trip reports? Should we expect any scrambling or class 3/4 type of conditions?

Also, how is the road (FS 105) up to Hagerman Pass from Turquoise Lake? I've gotten some conflicting comments on the road conditions and what type of vehicle is best. Based on this, I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off (and relatively same amount of time) taking 70 to glenwood springs (we'll be driving from Denver) and going down through basalt onto Frying Pad Rd.

Any other comments on this plan or trails to consider around Betty Bear?

I'm definitely not a regular 14er hiker but will post any follow up thoughts after our trip in July to give back to the forum!

Thanks,

Mark
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Betty Bear Hut/Hagerman Pass to Mt Massive Information?

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Spinning around Google Maps, it looks like the terrain isn't all that rough, though plenty of talus to keep the going slow. Drawing lines on Gaia, it looks like it would be around 12 miles, 5-5.5k gain roundtrip, which was a lot less than I had expected. Seems like a doable day if the weather is very good, as you'll be up high on a ridge all day with no bailout points. Definitely do your research, start early and bring lots of food and water if you do go for it. Looks like an interesting, unique way to grab Massive and North Massive. Let us know how it goes if you end up trying for it.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:19 pm Spinning around Google Maps, it looks like the terrain isn't all that rough, though plenty of talus to keep the going slow. Drawing lines on Gaia, it looks like it would be around 12 miles, 5-5.5k gain roundtrip, which was a lot less than I had expected. Seems like a doable day if the weather is very good, as you'll be up high on a ridge all day with no bailout points. Definitely do your research, start early and bring lots of food and water if you do go for it. Looks like an interesting, unique way to grab Massive and North Massive. Let us know how it goes if you end up trying for it.
On that estimated mileage and gain - drawing routes and lines on gaia and google earth etc in my experience doesn’t reflect actual stats, I usually expect it to be about 20-30% more or higher depending on how rough the terrain is.
denverpaoguy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by denverpaoguy »

Thanks! That's what we've been thinking too - based on the google earth satelite images it looks like we could actually start from Betty Bear Hut (approx. Lily Pad Lake if you're looking on Google although Betty Bear is listed on Google Maps) and cut across to the ridge that leads to N. Mt Massive and Mt. Massive. The 10th Mtn Hut website lists the elevation for betty bear as 11,100 so we would be at a pretty good starting elevation.

Looking forward to hearing from others as well. Will definitely keep everyone posted if we attempt the route.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

The road from Turquoise lake when I did it two years ago was fairly rough. Definitely would want high clearance 4 wheel drive. We did drive down to Basalt and remember the other side being less rough, but would probably still want high clearance 4 wheel drive.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

nsaladin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 pm The road from Turquoise lake when I did it two years ago was fairly rough. Definitely would want high clearance 4 wheel drive. We did drive down to Basalt and remember the other side being less rough, but would probably still want high clearance 4 wheel drive.
I second this assessment. I have been on this road several times. The Basalt side might be a bit less rough, but as referenced it still has 4WD, low range areas....and I thought it seemed like a longer stretch until you get to paved Frying Pan highway near Ruedi Reservoir. The Leadville side is steeper and has more switchbacks....but seemed like a shorter distance to me. Also, there is a long section of almost flat terrain near the pass itself....but even that is ROUGH.

Yes, you could go I-70 to Basalt, and avoid the rougher east side....it is a beautiful drive along the Frying Pan. But that is quite a bit more time consuming....even taking into account the slog to Hagerman from Turquoise.

The OTHER option is heading south from Eagle from I-70.....to Sylvan Lake State Park on Brush Creek Road. That is also a beautiful drive (esp. in fall with the gambel oak...one of John Fielder's favorite drives). From Sylvan, there is a less rough (but still recommend high clearance/4WD) dirt road that goes over Crooked Creek Pass. It comes out just east of Ruedi....so you are almost right there near your turn onto 527 along Ivanhoe Creek. One thing that stood out about that drive (from Sylvan Lake to Frying Pan Road)....it's prone to washing out a bit in a couple of spots, so if it's rained recently....maybe not the best route.

Finally, keep in mind THAT drive to Betty Bear from Hagerman is also going to be rough (and likely narrower)...so best suggestion is just to plan on using a high clearance 4WD vehicle. You will never regret being prepared in that sense.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

Roach Fourteeners page 90, North Ridge option, you get a brief (half a page) description of what the ridge walk looks like from point 12740 (where Roach gets from east side, Windsor Lake). He describes it as a part of "Tour de Massive".
You can reach point 12740 from the Hut in about 2 miles/1300 feet elevation gain.
You can easily tell from Google maps which one is 12740. It is almost a straight line (at about 45 degrees in plan drawing) from a point on 527 road about quarter mile east from the Hut.

North Ridge (from Windsor Lake) trip reports:
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=11174

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=10953
Kfreund
14ers: 19 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kfreund »

I was at Betty Bear last weekend with the guy who started this thread. We made it to Point 14,169 on Saturday with a couple guys who were bagging their first 14ers! This is the furthest NW point on the 'massive' Massive ridge. Beautiful day but we decided to turn around there given the time and long haul back to the hut. Fun route that we had to improvise a bit on the way up. There was some tough route finding on one section but generally made our way up on the right side of the ridgeline. I'll get around to making a trip report soon so people staying at Betty Bear have some beta!
denverpaoguy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by denverpaoguy »

Kfreund wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:34 am I was at Betty Bear last weekend with the guy who started this thread. We made it to Point 14,169 on Saturday with a couple guys who were bagging their first 14ers! This is the furthest NW point on the 'massive' Massive ridge. Beautiful day but we decided to turn around there given the time and long haul back to the hut. Fun route that we had to improvise a bit on the way up. There was some tough route finding on one section but generally made our way up on the right side of the ridgeline. I'll get around to making a trip report soon so people staying at Betty Bear have some beta!
Some life changing memories for a few that made it to 14,169! Nice job!