2021 Centennials Speed Record Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 2021 Centennials Speed Record Attempt

Post by Corey17 »

quinnwolf wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:18 pm Does anybody know his lowest elevation while hiking? And where was it?
I can't say I've looked at all the data perfectly - but I would wager that the bridge over the Animas river on the way up to Purgatory was his lowest elevation while hiking. It sits just below 7700 ft, which I believe is lower than any TH he used. Feel free to correct me if I missed another low point!

Andrew/Andrea, this was an incredible feat to follow! Congratulations, and enjoy some well deserved rest! This record seems like one that is simply untouchable. Between the Weminuche Wipeout, the Centennial Elk traverse, the Blanca group and Crestone group days, and everything else - these three weeks have been on another level to follow along with.

I wonder if Andrew has any more insane plans up his sleeve for the future!
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Absolutely amazing!!! Accomplishing this at 46 yo makes it even more impressive. The human body's ability to recovery from hard efforts decreases as we age, so it is a lot tougher to do something like this at 46 than at 36 or 26. Congratulations Andrew.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

quinnwolf wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:18 pm Does anybody know his lowest elevation while hiking? And where was it?
Lowest TH start before ascending to a peak: 8875' at Crestone TH on his way up to Mt. Adams
Lowest TH finish descending from a peak: 9226' at Williams Creek TH after UN 13811

He got as low as 7683' during his hike out of Chicago Basin to Purgatory when he crossed the Animas River
The low point on the 20 mile hike from RGP was 9946' when he left the Colorado Trail and headed up to Vestal
Aim high to end high
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi! Well i just want to say thanks to everyone who followed along. What an adventure! It’s still just too big for me to comprehend…all the obstacles that we had to overcome.

I realized that in 2015, we had a dialed in plan, it was like a well choreographed dance routine. Sure, we had some dramatic moments with thunderstorms, landslides, and snow, but it was as if it was all part of the dance, and we never really deviated from the plan.

This year I’d say everything was more like the saying: “no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.” We had a plan, but before we could even start things were changing and we had to change the plan, run from storms, and just try to survive. I was ready to quit after day one, when i was thoroughly frozen in a nasty winter like storm all night long on the ridges between phoenix and Stewart. I didn’t see how i could continue if the weather was going to continue like that for the next week. But Andrea would hear none of my complaining and we just switched to survival mode, just taking it one day at a time.

Until the last couple of days i had no idea how many days i had been going, or how many peaks i had done.

I have a lot of great stories to tell. I’ll post here over the next few days as i process this whole adventure. My brain is still in a fog and it is hard to come back into the real world.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Looking forward to some kind of trip report on this!
TheHikingTexan
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 178 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by TheHikingTexan »

This was so awesome, congrats Andrew. Any plans for future speaking appearances to present the trip?
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Such an epic Odyssey. Looking forward to hearing the tales of the challenges you encountered along the way. I can only imagine the physical and mental difficulties you had to overcome.
Century Bound, eventually.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 pm I have a lot of great stories to tell. I’ll post here over the next few days as i process this whole adventure. My brain is still in a fog and it is hard to come back into the real world.
Looking forward to hearing more about it!
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Phill the Thrill wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:16 am
andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 pm I have a lot of great stories to tell. I’ll post here over the next few days as i process this whole adventure. My brain is still in a fog and it is hard to come back into the real world.
Looking forward to hearing more about it!
I’m itching to hear about the adventure as well! Totally makes sense needing to regroup into “real life” after something of that magnitude. Hope to buy you a beer one day Andrew! If you don’t drink I think Kombucha is healthy 8)
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

I'm still tuned in...

and looking forward to the recap.
Aim high to end high
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Congrats, Andrew on finishing this incredible run! I really can't wrap my mind around what you are able to make your body and mind do, whether you take 12, 24, 36, 48 hour snapshots of this or look at it for the entire 22 days. =D>
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Awesome job by Andrew and crew, thanks for letting us follow along.

Looking forward to some stories once you've recovered a bit!