Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Drought

Post by 12ersRule »

Iguru wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:04 pm
COFitnessJenn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:44 am Makes me sad, nature/wildlife pays the ultimate price for human greed and ignorance.
humanity will pay the ultimate price eventually: extinction.

after that, nature and wildlife will recover and be better off without us. might take a few hundred or a few thousand or a few million years, but the planet will be fine in the end.
Until the sun goes red giant and the first three planets are swallowed up in the process :-k
My plan is to be cryogenically frozen and then be awakened just as this is happening, so I can watch that! I'll wake up Ted Williams for that one too.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:01 pm My plan is to be cryogenically frozen and then be awakened just as this is happening, so I can watch that! I'll wake up Ted Williams for that one too.
Frozen and stored on Mars then? Or is the plan to go out in a (literal) blaze of glory?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Iguru wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 pmUntil the sun goes red giant and the first three planets are swallowed up in the process :-k
Human kind will either be extinct or have moved on to other planets long before that happens. All plant life (and then other life) will likely be extinct or going to be extinct in another ~600,000,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_Earth

It's likely that the earth won't be swallowed up until almost seven billion years after that happens.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

We have never been able to predict earthquakes, but predicting the future of the planet Earth must be much easier and not at all akin to conspiracy theories
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm We have never been able to predict earthquakes, but predicting the future of the planet Earth must be much easier and not at all akin to conspiracy theories
False equivalency. There are a ton of things we don't know/understand. That in no way diminishes the confidence in the processes we do understand.

The climate is observable and we understand it's functioning from first principles (i.e. physical laws and math). Earthquakes are underpinned by large-scale processes that are incredibly challenging to measure with our current technology, so we don't understand it well enough to make predictions.

Climate models from 2004 predicted the following 16 years of global temperatures with remarkable accuracy:
ClimateModels.JPG
ClimateModels.JPG (103.66 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Last edited by Dave B on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Scott P wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:57 pm
Iguru wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 pmUntil the sun goes red giant and the first three planets are swallowed up in the process :-k
Human kind will either be extinct or have moved on to other planets long before that happens. All plant life (and then other life) will likely be extinct or going to be extinct in another ~600,000 years.

It's likely that the earth won't be swallowed up until almost seven billion years after that happens.
So, we should be more concerned about the immediate future than the long term future. Whoda thunk :!:
I gotta get me an Avatar.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Dave B wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:12 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm We have never been able to predict earthquakes, but predicting the future of the planet Earth must be much easier and not at all akin to conspiracy theories
False equivalency. There are a ton of things we don't know/understand. That in no way diminishes the confidence in the processes we do understand.

The climate is observable and we understand it's functioning from first principles (i.e. physical laws and math). Earthquakes are underpinned by large-scale processes that are incredibly challenging to measure with our current technology, so we don't understand it well enough to make predictions.

Climate models from 2004 predicted the following 16 years of global temperatures with remarkable accuracy:
ClimateModels.JPG
Don't engage the dum dums.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Scott P wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:57 pm
Human kind will either be extinct or have moved on to other planets long before that happens. All plant life (and then other life) will likely be extinct or going to be extinct in another ~600,000 years.

That is a fun article Scott. In agreement, more or less with this:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ion-years/
Last edited by Wentzl on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:57 pm
That is a fun article Scott, but you left some zeros off you summary. Not 600,000 years, but 600,000,000. In agreement, more or less with this:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ion-years/
Indeed. Definitely a typo on my part.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 pm Don't engage the dum dums.
He is the master of all he surveys. And a sixth degree black belt in the google fu discipline. Show proper respect, grasshoppa.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 am I'm super sensitive to wildfire smoke and I'm already having headaches, sneezing, and asthma attacks even in Denver. Not looking forward to another few months of this at all.
me too...plus mold, pollution, etc. I've already visited an ENT and he's got me jacked on prednisone.

the first time visited CB, I was immediately addicted to that alpine air. clean air, clean creeks and rivers, clean town. I was in nirvana. I'm grateful that I had 5 summers of that kind of beauty, it will never be forgotten.

so depressing that I or the next generation may never experience that again.
Attachments
smoke.png
smoke.png (313.27 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton