Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Drought

Post by Wentzl »

Science or Politics?

Political Science, a favorite oxymoron.

Is the Covid Vaccine safe or experimental? Might be both. Indisputably the later.

If you have kids, maybe consider this, just out from the World Health Organization:

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/2 ... 9-vaccines
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

ker0uac is the most logical person on this thread.

What I see here is a whole lot of hypocrisy. People complaining about how folks moving out west is overtaxing the water supply, yet I guarantee not a single one of you transplants will move back to the midwest/northeast/wherever you came from in order to make things right.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 pm Omg the world is going to burn alive and we will all die together, all part of a plan concocted by the Koch brothers to take over California. If it wasn't for those damn Republicans, the planet would have a future! Im mad! We should lock them up! [-( Im gonna take political action now!
Stop with the straw man bulls**t already. Nobody is saying we’re all going to spontaneously combust. Rather, an increase in carbon in the atmosphere is precipitating an increase in unusual, dangerous weather events. This is supported… by scientific evidence.

Just because you wish for something not to be true, does not make it so.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Jorts wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 pm Just because you wish for something not to be true, does not make it so.
This, for every political argument on every side.
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:25 am
Jorts wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 pm Just because you wish for something not to be true, does not make it so.
This, for every political argument on every side.
Trump supporters stormed the Capitol. “No they didn’t. It was Antifa.”

I repeat, just because one wants something to/not to be true -whether for political reasons or others-, does not make it so. You're conflating a statement of fact with a political argument.

Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Here's further evidence that the scientific community is not just saying, "carbon is bad and the earth is heating". An oversimplification and reduction that has occurred in this discussion. There is far more nuance.

Back in 2013, it was recognized that the climate is less sensitive and heating up less than previously believed from greenhouse gas emissions. This was a clear reversal of the state of things and an adjustment of understanding based on new evidence. Rather than plopping a link to a scientific paper that nobody will read, here is an article from the Economist about the discovery.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-t ... ive-matter

Not politics. Science.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Scott P wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:26 pm Parts of South Routt County are being evacuated due to the Muddy Slide Fire:

Ihttps://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/live-update ... -in-place/
It is 10 miles from my house. I was evacuated twice in 2018 for a week each time with the Silver Creek fire. This is no fun at all.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

some deep thoughts going on here...I like to keep it simple, we're in a very bad drought. pour some resources into whatever it takes to put the damn fires out, because we're going to need it in the future.

good luck to all, I hope you guys have a better year than forecast.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

rmattas wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 am some deep thoughts going on here...I like to keep it simple, we're in a very bad drought. pour some resources into whatever it takes to put the damn fires out, because we're going to need it in the future.

I respectfully disagree with your post. A forest fire in itself is not a bad thing, it gets rid of old growth and regenerates new feed for wildlife. If it's not threatening houses I say let it burn. Frankly, there are a lot of areas in CO that have so much dead beetle kill that the forest needs to have a good burn and start over. It's part of the natural cycle, and has been happening since long before we all hiked the 14ers.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

rmattas wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 am....we're in a very bad drought. pour some resources into whatever it takes to put the damn fires out, because we're going to need it in the future.

They pretty much have been doing that, for a couple years now. "They" meaning first and foremost the smoke jumpers, firefighters, hotshots, and all that have a hand in it. Those people are damn heroic, and it's a tough, tough job - you have to be pretty bad ass physically to handle it. Living in the SW I have a whole new appreciation for these people. SAR personnel would be on that playing field, but the hot shots and the like do it constantly for months.

Resources, I see water bomber planes leaving the airport 3 miles away pretty regularly, and there are plenty of personnel. Or at least if it was a "normal year"; whatever that is anymore. So many fires though once this gets going even more, it's insane. I suppose more $$ could be poured into it, but it's not like it's a neglected issue.

Locally, all the national forests are closed (and believe it or not we have LOTS of national forest in AZ). Closed, Period. No camping, no shooting, no fires (obviously), and no hiking. You read that right, NO HIKING. Imagine that for in CO, and or on 14er routes. Could happen, might happen.

Good news is it rained today. At least at the house it did, probably not real wide spread. Good rain for 1/2 hour. If that happened a few days a week we could get back. Humidity is up, forecasts a bit better, so maybe there is at least some hope for a better summer.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

I know there's a lot of rain forecasted in some parts of CO over this next week. Is that going to affect the super dry areas at all, or is it largely centered around the Front Range once again?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm I know there's a lot of rain forecasted in some parts of CO over this next week. Is that going to affect the super dry areas at all, or is it largely centered around the Front Range once again?
It has been raining here in Fairplay.

Grand Junction got a little rain too, but not much.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.