Camping/Hiking within 3 hours from Denver?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Camping/Hiking within 3 hours from Denver?

Post by Mkorrub »

Ok, Decalibron is out. I'll respect the closure. But that means I need to find a new plan.

I’m looking for recommendations for a 1night/2day car camping/hiking spot. Last weekend I camped on Halfmoon Road and hiked Elbert in the morning. It was great and I’m looking to do something similar this weekend. Here’s the criteria:

-No more than 3 hours from Denver.
-Accessible in a 2WD sedan.
-Class 2 or less (I have a strong hiking dog, but don’t want him scrambling)
-Dispersed camping preferred
-Doesn’t have to be a 14er (I’m ok with any hike as long as it’s scenic)
-Not Quandary, Bierstadt, Shavano or Elbert (done em)
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camping/Hiking within 3 hours from Denver?

Post by SamWerner »

Mkorrub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm Ok, Decalibron is out. I'll respect the closure. But that means I need to find a new plan.

I’m looking for recommendations for a 1night/2day car camping/hiking spot. Last weekend I camped on Halfmoon Road and hiked Elbert in the morning. It was great and I’m looking to do something similar this weekend. Here’s the criteria:

-No more than 3 hours from Denver.
-Accessible in a 2WD sedan.
-Class 2 or less (I have a strong hiking dog, but don’t want him scrambling)
-Dispersed camping preferred
-Doesn’t have to be a 14er (I’m ok with any hike as long as it’s scenic)
-Not Quandary, Bierstadt, Shavano or Elbert (done em)
Huron has some good camping spots, and with a 2wd it's about 10 miles (either via NW Slopes or Lulu Gulch). Belford/Oxford/Missouri are on that same road and accessible. Harvard and Columbia (probably pick one) would also work, slightly longer though. I'm not entirely sure on the dog/leash regulations in the area though, because it's in a Wilderness area for most of those.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I agree Huron that would be a good choice and meets your requirements.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mkorrub »

Huron does look like a good option, but how's the road to the TH? Some of the reports I've read have stated that a high clearance car is needed.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Mkorrub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:24 pm Huron does look like a good option, but how's the road to the TH? Some of the reports I've read have stated that a high clearance car is needed.
You park at 2WD trailhead near Winfield, before the entrance to the woods. Adds about 2 miles each way of easy generally flat hiking.
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mkorrub »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm
Mkorrub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:24 pm Huron does look like a good option, but how's the road to the TH? Some of the reports I've read have stated that a high clearance car is needed.
You park at 2WD trailhead near Winfield, before the entrance to the woods. Adds about 2 miles each way of easy generally flat hiking.
That's a good bit of extra walking.

I'm leaning towards Mt Yale. Looks like it's a manageable hike for me and the dog, an easily drivable road all the way up to the TH, and plenty of dispersed campsites on CR 306 along Cottonwood Creek.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm
Do the Lulu Gulch route seen here: https://14ers.com/route.php?route=huro4&peak=Huron+Peak. It's vastly superior in my opinion. Far less crowded (you're unlikely to see anyone at all until you're on the summit ridge of Huron) and affords the opportunity to bag three easy thirteeners along the way.