Decalibron?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Decalibron?

Post by Scott P »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:23 amEdit: When forum favorites that I won't name have gone after speed records of all the 14ers it always includes summiting Bross and I haven't seen any finger wagging about closures at those people.
If someone posted that they were going to illegally poach these peaks while the negotiations were taking place, then they deserve scorn, speed record or not.

PS, why don't you ever post anything useful?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Do it counterclockwise

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

I think calling out double standards in the community IS useful.
Last edited by oldmanforest on Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I think calling out double standards in the community IS useful.
You mean like you saying that anyone who has climbed Bross legally can't call anyone out, while you yourself has climbed it? Sounds like a double standard.
oldmanforest wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:04 pm Was it open or closed when Andrew Hamilton and Homie did speed record attempts on the 14ers and climbed those peaks?

I don't know since I pay (almost) zero attention to speed records. I do know that a lot of people setting records make sure they do things legally. Also, as mentioned there is a public access point on Bross that people tag and still count it as being climbed. Most people agree that it is OK to coun the summit if you reach the highest point available on public land (if the summit is closed and you can get very, very close to it). That point is only a few vertical feet from the true summit of Bross.

Also, something that you are apparently too stupid to understand is that now is the worst time to be poaching these peaks and admitting to it on a public forum. The landowers are following the forum and a lot of people are trying to secure access for these peaks. Poaching them right now might ruin access for EVERYONE and is an A-hole move. The plan is to openup the peaks soon, but the landowers say that people breaking the rules is the reason it is being delayed. Why is that too hard for you to understand?

Also, if someone discretely climbed Bross when only the last few feet were closed, it might not be right, but it isn't going to affect everyone as much as climbing all three peaks and announcing doing so on a huge public forum while access is being negotiated and the land owners who are monitoring the forum are specifically asking people to stay off during the negotiation.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Go for it. Others have been all year. Don’t let the “gatekeepers” on this forum discourage you. I plan on hitting it again soon. Bross included. 😜
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I feel like why not wait it out for a bit while the negotiations take place? There’s a plethora of other relatively easy, popular 14ers out there waiting for the weekend frenzies.
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

When one gets up to Kite Lake, how does one know that the summits are closed? Is there a large sign saying so? Seems like a lot of unsuspecting people are still climbing these peaks..
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

rperth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:20 pm Go for it. Others have been all year. Don’t let the “gatekeepers” on this forum discourage you. I plan on hitting it again soon. Bross included. 😜
Yeah, people have been climbing it most of the year, when it was open. The closure is pretty recent. Please do not screw over the entire community by illegally trespassing during the brief window that it's not open. And if you are planning to say "f**k everybody but me and my one day hike," at least have enough intelligence to not openly announce your intentions on a forum that you know the owners read.
pcsongei wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:30 am When one gets up to Kite Lake, how does one know that the summits are closed? Is there a large sign saying so? Seems like a lot of unsuspecting people are still climbing these peaks..
There is an obvious sign. The only people who are unsuspecting are the ones who can't be bothered to notice anything around them.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

pcsongei wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:30 am When one gets up to Kite Lake, how does one know that the summits are closed? Is there a large sign saying so? Seems like a lot of unsuspecting people are still climbing these peaks..
You'll see the sign...
Sorry-We-Are-Closed-Neon-Sign_a3b8b4f1-b2df-4355-80ac-36ac80673729_400x.jpg
Sorry-We-Are-Closed-Neon-Sign_a3b8b4f1-b2df-4355-80ac-36ac80673729_400x.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Aphelion wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:25 am Yeah, people have been climbing it most of the year, when it was open. The closure is pretty recent. Please do not screw over the entire community by illegally trespassing during the brief window that it's not open. And if you are planning to say "f**k everybody but me and my one day hike," at least have enough intelligence to not openly announce your intentions on a forum that you know the owners read.
People keep talking about a brief window. Has there been an end date announced? Because as far as I know this is a closure that will last until such time as these legal issues get resolved. They may never get resolved so this closure May be indefinite. If it was something as simple as these Peaks are closed for the month of May that would be a lot more palatable than these Peaks are closed indefinitely.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

Private property. Lol. Say "hi" to the private police force stationed at 13,000 feet 24/7
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Aphelion wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:25 am
rperth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:20 pm Go for it. Others have been all year. Don’t let the “gatekeepers” on this forum discourage you. I plan on hitting it again soon. Bross included. 😜
Yeah, people have been climbing it most of the year, when it was open. The closure is pretty recent. Please do not screw over the entire community by illegally trespassing during the brief window that it's not open. And if you are planning to say "f**k everybody but me and my one day hike," at least have enough intelligence to not openly announce your intentions on a forum that you know the owners read.
There is an obvious sign. The only people who are unsuspecting are the ones who can't be bothered to notice anything around them.
It’s open officially now. Eff you!!