Backpack Elbert?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aldsw
14ers: 25  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Backpack Elbert?

Post by aldsw »

Are there spots to setup a camp along Elbert?

We like to backpack 14ers with our 6 year old and the goal is to cut off some of the elevation and mileage. She did Huron and Mt of the Holy Cross last year as backpacks, plus Sherman without backpacking.

Looking at pictures, it seems camping in the clearing around 11,600 would work. Can anyone confirm?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Backpack Elbert?

Post by Ptglhs »

The issue is that there is no water up there. So you're hauling a tent, a pad, a bag, stove, and several liters of water with you for those first miles, and the tent and bag out. Honestly it's much better to do it just as a Day hike.

I did it once as a backpack in June when there was still enough snow to melt and camp near where you're describing. Go light and fast and just day hike it.
aldsw
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aldsw »

You've clearly never hiked with a 6 year old, there's nothing "fast" about it. :lol: We love backpacking and I'm happy to carry the extra weight to give her the experience.

It sounds like you're confirming there is some level ground around the 11.6 mark that would be ok for an overnight?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Does a six-year-old Vizsla count?

It's very close to the trail, but there are areas near tree line where you could definitely set up a tent. I did it.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

There are some nice enough spots below treeline along the Black Cloud creek on the southern approach, but they are only maybe one-third of the way up and the majority of the steep sections, ridgeline walking, and talus scrambling would still be required on the second day. How's your 6 year old with Class 2 stuff? (I can't comment on the more popular Class 1 options as I haven't done them.)
aldsw
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aldsw »

She's great. Huron, Holy Cross & Sherman were all easy for her last year. She'd be fine on Class 3. I'm just worried about being above treeline early enough if we don't take some of the mileage /elevation off the route. Thanks for the info!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

aldsw wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 am You've clearly never hiked with a 6 year old, there's nothing "fast" about it. :lol:
Hmmm, sometimes it was hard for me to keep up with my kids when they were six and I don't think I was that slow back then. Maybe?

Anyway, as mentioned, Black Cloud is a possibility. It is a longer and harder route, but there are campsites around timberline.

The East Ridge of Elbert also has some campsites, but no water unless there are still snowbanks left. If there are snowbanks, it would eliminate the need to carry all of that water.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

aldsw wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 am Are there spots to setup a camp along Elbert?

We like to backpack 14ers with our 6 year old and the goal is to cut off some of the elevation and mileage. She did Huron and Mt of the Holy Cross last year as backpacks, plus Sherman without backpacking.

Looking at pictures, it seems camping in the clearing around 11,600 would work. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, there's a meadow that the standard trail passes through. About 11,000' as I recall, but not positive of the altitude. I camped there in winter, pretty flat in spots.

-Tom
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

If I were you......

I'd take a hard look at going up Massive from the secret north route.

you could stay the night at Windsor Lake and get cracking early the next AM.

there's cool rock castles and stuff up above the lake. that's as high as I got that one time - but the way further up is clear as day
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
aldsw
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aldsw »

jibler wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:20 pm If I were you......

I'd take a hard look at going up Massive from the secret north route.

you could stay the night at Windsor Lake and get cracking early the next AM.

there's cool rock castles and stuff up above the lake. that's as high as I got that one time - but the way further up is clear as day
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out. Is the route in Roach's book?
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

allegedly he says something about it somewhere?

I never actually saw it in print myself - I was just screwing around over there and saw the potential for the route like 5 yrs ago.

a little part of me is still claiming this route as my discovery - even though I always assumed I was not 1st to find it.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

jibler wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm allegedly he says something about it somewhere?

I never actually saw it in print myself - I was just screwing around over there and saw the potential for the route like 5 yrs ago.

a little part of me is still claiming this route as my discovery - even though I always assumed I was not 1st to find it.
It's the north ridge and is route 9R5 in the third edition of Roach's 14ers guidebook. Also part of Massive Mania. Not a new route.